Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have '69 Falcon wagon and I'm going to update brakes..

It has 302 with fuel injection. (WIP, engine/trans installation is on progress) And I've got that out of '83 LTD and plan was to put LTD's master cylinder.

The space between firewall and shock tower is SMALL and I've seen that master cylinder has been moved towards to the engine. Yep, but now the upper intake is on the way.. It is closer than the shock tower so it's almost bigger problem than the shock tower..

So, I need very short master cylinder/booster package. Where can I get that? Or what vehicle's booster have you been using? So I could buy it from Finland..

I've seen (on Australia?) very short boosterpackage between firewall and shockotower. That's what I'm looking for. I've got 10" drums front/rear.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
By any chance did the 83 have hydro-boost?

I know what I would do... :)

Look @ the nineties FOX and SN-95 HYDRO-BOOST System.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
What is that Geo Metro? What car is it from? Is that the answer?
It is a GM badged SUZUKI. A smaller size booster may not give you all the assist you want or need.

·
Registered
681 Posts
my 68.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I don't think that Geo Metro will be enough for me..

That FOX hydrobooster seems very long. It might fit but still, the upperintake is on the way if it has to be moved more center. But still, I'm interested..

But, do I see right?!

MACH 1

60's Mustang?!

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
:eek: Wait A Minute...

You say you have a 5.0L EFI (STD) from an 83 LTD? That came through with CFI (throttle body) didn't it? It should have no upper plenum. Or am I misunderstanding you (language barrier you know :D )?

Now if it does have the upper and lower plenums, you might consider an intake swap to a 5.0L HO as the plenum pointed to the pass. side of the engine bay.

Can you post a photo of the install?

Just thinking here (which is dangerous in itself).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:eek: Wait A Minute...

You say you have a 5.0L EFI (STD) from an 83 LTD? That came through with CFI (throttle body) didn't it? It should have no upper plenum. Or am I misunderstanding you (language barrier you know :D )?

Now if it does have the upper and lower plenums, you might consider an intake swap to a 5.0L HO as the plenum pointed to the pass. side of the engine bay.

Can you post a photo of the install?

Just thinking here (which is dangerous in itself).
Ooops, forgot.. It had an engine swap in '95. It is 8-point Speed Density EFI now. I'm gonna run it with MegaSquirt and Edis 8. With ugly ugly rat look. :D

I don't know about swapping the upper plenum. Does it make a difference? Gotta think when I'm at garage, and double check the LTD's booster will it fit, becouse engine is now lowered to the point where it's going to lay. Before it was upper = defitinely on the way for booster.

I'll post photo tonight. Nothing special except my bad for not saying about the engine swap. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's the engine. 302 with 8-point EFI, EDIS-8, trans is AOD and it has Borgeson powersteering box..

Here's EDIS-8 coils. Looks pretty rad, engine room comes with shiny black akryl. Car itself must be as ugly as can get! :)

And the rest of the ratwagon, on front there's no engine so it's very high. Sad but can't slam it to the ground. Last summer it was so low that it was hard to drive but can't be anymore. Winter comes with problems if you have under 3 inches to the ground.. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, anyone has ideas anymore?

Maybe I could be interested also on that 2005 (?) F350 6.0L Hydrobooster? Got knowledge on that? Someone put that one on his Mustang.. Maybe I should ask about it if it's small, 'cause I think it would surely be enough for mid-size wagon.. :D

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The early Fairlane has the same problem, the distance from firewall to shoock tower is very tight with a booster, stock ones angle the booster/ mc up on an angle, looks very odd & tough filling the MC too.
I found a Mustang 11, booster, which is quite short & with a 97 Mustang MC(4 wheel discs) it clears tower by about 1/2". Brakes work very well.
One of the Meteor guys, over at crazyformercuys did a "How to" on installing the Suzuki trakker/Metro Geo booster/MC which is very short in length & rave about how good the set up works.
thats with a disc/drum set up tho.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Can you please repost that photo?

The early Fairlane has the same problem, the distance from firewall to shoock tower is very tight with a booster, stock ones angle the booster/ mc up on an angle, looks very odd & tough filling the MC too.

I found a Mustang 11, booster, which is quite shor
MUST 11 means dia or donor year? Can you post a photo?

What type of elbow do you plan on using @ the throttle body? If the turn is sharp enough, it may clear the OEM setup?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There's now Mercedes W202 2.2CDI diesel sedan's booster/MC. It's 10" and bore 3/4". Should be fine? Summit said it'll work ok. Hope so..

·
Registered
404 Posts
Not the best pic for this application, but it shows that my manual brake master cylinder has plenty of room.

I have the stock drums on the back, and Aerospace disc brakes on the front. My fastest pass (to date) at the track was 130mph, and I didn't have any problem stopping it. The manual brake pedal sits up rather high and has a lot of travel, but I don't have any problem with it on the street.

Lee

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not the best pic for this application, but it shows that my manual brake master cylinder has plenty of room.

I have the stock drums on the back, and Aerospace disc brakes on the front. My fastest pass (to date) at the track was 130mph, and I didn't have any problem stopping it. The manual brake pedal sits up rather high and has a lot of travel, but I don't have any problem with it on the street.

Lee
I have problems with my back, and if I don't have any feeling below tummy I'd like to be able to press the brakes properly..

·
Registered
88 Posts
Another option would be to replace the upper intake with one from a Mustang. The Mustang intake has the throttle body on the right side of engine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another option would be to replace the upper intake with one from a Mustang. The Mustang intake has the throttle body on the right side of engine.
Still, I think it's going to be on the way.. And it costs. But we're going to go with the '99 Mercedes booster, it's just so small it WILL fit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It wont fit!! 10" booster and it's almost original place, few millimetres upper.. The booster is few millimetres away from rag joint.. And it still needs 4" space to transmission levers.

Can't take it upper 'cause no space, can't take forward 'cause powersteeringbox.

Maybe I'm going to run with original manual brakes..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts