Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm designing a set of bolt-on subframe connectors on CAD for my 69 falcon, has anyone ever built a pair of these? Does anyone know if a 69 Mustang will fit? I don't want to spend a $100 on a pair of connectors that I'll probably end up modifying anyway, and they have to be bolt on due to the fact I haven't the resources to weld them on.

Thanks for any help!!

Pat

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I have no idea if a Mustang sub conn will work but I also need a set of weld-on (or bolt on that I will weld on) subframe connectors for my '68 Falcon wagon because of the 466 going in (then the 557 next year) but I can't find any info on the '66-'69 Falcons nor can I find any interchangability literature for them either. If you find anything, please let me know. One thought I have is my wagon might be different from a 2dr so it might require a longer subframe connector but I'm not absolutely sure yet.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Im not sure about the interchange either. But it would be better to rent a welder and make your own. I did on my Cougar and it is awesome so far. I went to a local steel place and bought 20ft. of 3x2x1/4 rectangle stock and made them. From the front subframe to the back subframe thru the floor pan. It has to be done in 3 pieces, and on an angle, but doesnt stick down under the car and doesnt stick up that much in the car. Here's a picture. I copied it from an old Mustang and Ford mag. If your interested, I will try and find it and copy it for you and email it. Here's a picture of my subframes.

Rick

68 Fairlane/70 Cougar

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dark7068 on 4/21/02 4:57am ]</font>

·
Registered
407 Posts
Holy cow! .250 wall thickness tube?,,,Really... I would think that .080-.093 would do I know the metal you weld to is no more than that! I too woul like to build some subframe connectors but my plan is to do it in such a manner that I do not have to cut thru the floor, build them like the bolt on units but actually weld them on underneath. I would be very interested in knowing your plans.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies gentlemen!! I'll let you know what I get designed, and then I'll only charge $9.95 for the plans! LOL just kidding, I'll let you know what I come up with. They will be a bolt on bar, made from probably 12 ga tubing, and 10 ga plate. I'll keep ya'll informed

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did any of you guys happen to take pictures before during and after, of the frame rails after you got them and put them in? im having trouble with my 69

1 - 6 of 6 Posts