Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and I have been working on his first car, a '69 XL with a 302, and everything has been going ok until today when his accelerator cable broke. I can find plenty of parts for Mustangs and even other years for the Galaxie, but nothing for the '69. My question is, what cables are compatible with his? This car is slowly coming along and he really loves it, but I've found that a lot of parts are hard to find.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Concours Parts 7 Access. lists a part for 65 - 68. http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~partsort
The catalog indicates the cable is 24" long, so I'd say measure what you've got and if they are the same, it may be a good option.

Try Dearborn Classics, Auto Krafters as other sources. These are very cool cars, but yes, some parts are quite difficult to find.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Let me look at the other 69 parts cars. If I have 2 I might sell one. I see you are in OK, I am in KS, let me know what you need, I could even sell you a 69 roller parts car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Concours Parts 7 Access. lists a part for 65 - 68. http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~partsort
The catalog indicates the cable is 24" long, so I'd say measure what you've got and if they are the same, it may be a good option.

Try Dearborn Classics, Auto Krafters as other sources. These are very cool cars, but yes, some parts are quite difficult to find.
I've got a '66 and a '70 Galaxie both with 390's and two barrels from the factory. Put a 4300 on the '70 and a 4100 on the '66. Found out that the throttle is almost two inches farther forward on the 4100 and the stock cable won't reach. Fortunately, this isn't an issue with the 4300, so the '70 is ok.

So yeah, for anyone switching to a 4100, the stock 24" cable isn't going to be long enough. I'm trying to find one to replace it, but finding a cable with the correct connector for the accelerator pedal is quite the headache as they all seem to have that u-shaped adapter which won't work.

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
Tonk, I am looking for a throttle cable as the plastic housing in mine is broken (pic). Do you have an extra and how does it look?

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just bought this complete accelerator kit with cable from Autozone for $25.00 from the link below and installed it in my 1967 Galaxie. Works great (so far in its' first week).

Spectre/3 ft. cable, 2 ft. braided housing universal throttle cable kit (2431) | Throttle Cable | AutoZone.com

I used this on my '70 and it's ok, but you can get a much higher quality kit from Summit or Jegs. Unless you really like the braided steel look (mine started to rust after a few months). I'm replacing mine soon, hopefully.

Also, how did you get it to mate to the accelerator pedal with that included connecter? I had to use the old cable with my car.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Lokar, and while you're at it use their auto kickdown cable.

I love mine

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Administrator
21,760 Posts
Have you checked with Napa? Too bad you weren't in MD, i'd know just the place to send you. They had a book with all different styles and lengths to compare with. Found one for an old van when i eliminated the cruise control and so that through off the end type and length, nobody had it til i went there. Not sure how much help it would be using their website but just in case.

Used Auto Parts, New Auto Parts, Discount Auto Parts, Import Auto Parts, Domestic Auto Parts, Wholesale Auto Parts, Retail Auto Parts, and Aftermarket Auto Parts at Brandywine Automotive Centers

How long is the cable? Don't know if i can find the one i had on my car that was a mile too long. It got the casing melted a bit on my exhaust so would have to be sealed i think. I can't remember if it just melted a little or if it went to the metal core now it's been so many years. If I can remember where i put it and it's the right style. Mine was a '64 so might not be the same at all.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I used this on my '70 and it's ok, but you can get a much higher quality kit from Summit or Jegs. Unless you really like the braided steel look (mine started to rust after a few months). I'm replacing mine soon, hopefully.

Also, how did you get it to mate to the accelerator pedal with that included connecter? I had to use the old cable with my car.

I had to jimmy-rig it to work with the included connector. it is pretty low quality!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
There is a used one for sale on ebay.
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

It looks like the part number is the same for 65 - 70, from what I was able to find, so what they show in the Concours Parts catalog, for a 65 should probably be fine. I think their new price is less than the buy-it-now price in that ebay listing. Look it up on Concours site and use the part number, with out the date code portion, to search for other sources. I think it is something like 9A758A?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Tonk, I am looking for a throttle cable as the plastic housing in mine is broken (pic). Do you have an extra and how does it look?
I'll get a shot of both of mine tomorrow. The 66 is slightly different, but not by much. I'll also point out the differences in the mounting point for the accelerator.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts