Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi time to paint my underdash (pretty much everything below the dash pad) and the black stripe on the aluminum trim that goes across the top of my fastback sail panels. After 50yrs these areas have turned flat black should I go semi gloss? What kind of paint? I assume kylon or rustoleum is not a good choice for these areas?
Thanks.
Scott.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I bought some SEM Trim Black. I haven't used it yet, but it is supposed to be the correct sheen for these applications. Ultimately, unless you're doing a concours restoration, you could use any paint you want.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I like the Mar-Hyde Black Satin trim paint.

The rattle cans are good quality and spray really well.

The paint goes on beautifully, very even and easy to control.

The satin finish looks really nice to my eye.

As with all rattle cans.... you must SHAKE THE CAN! to expect good results. :surprise:

I built a paint can shaker that take the work out of it.

Most rattle can instructions say shake for at least 1 minute or more.

That's tiring on the arm, and since building the shaker I have found the longer you shake the can, the better it sprays.

I set the timer for at least 10 minutes (sometimes 20 if it's an old can) and walk away.

Come back and they spray like you expect, no spitting and spattering.

The shaker is a power window motor, a 12V SLA battery and a hardware store timer, plus the bit's and bob's to assemble it.

Cheers! :grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all for the input it looks like I might try sem on the insterior and Krylon semi gloss on the exterior trim. Glaxiex I'm impressed by your shaker I always thought a rattle can shaker would be handy however at my skill level I'de have to buy one.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Thanks all for the input it looks like I might try sem on the insterior and Krylon semi gloss on the exterior trim. Glaxiex I'm impressed by your shaker I always thought a rattle can shaker would be handy however at my skill level I'de have to buy one.
I saw a guy on U toob duct tape a rattle can to the blade of a sawzall....... just sayin.... :wink2: :grin2:

·
Registered
368 Posts
The paint shaker / sawzall idea is a good one. The other thing to keep in mind is that the paint should be warm. Maybe not so much of an issue right now, but useful to keep in mind, as winter comes.

I've laid paint cans on a oil heater that I keep in the garage, even turning them over after a few min. I've found that a heated paint can has more pressure in it and sprays very nicely, even on cold shop days.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
The paint shaker / sawzall idea is a good one. The other thing to keep in mind is that the paint should be warm. Maybe not so much of an issue right now, but useful to keep in mind, as winter comes.

I've laid paint cans on a oil heater that I keep in the garage, even turning them over after a few min. I've found that a heated paint can has more pressure in it and sprays very nicely, even on cold shop days.

I guess it will have more pressure right up until the can blows up! :surprise::grin2: A warming cabinet of some sort would be great for when a guy is doing a project with lots of spray bombs.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I like the Mar-Hyde Black Satin trim paint.

The rattle cans are good quality and spray really well.

The paint goes on beautifully, very even and easy to control.

The satin finish looks really nice to my eye.

As with all rattle cans.... you must SHAKE THE CAN! to expect good results. :surprise:

I built a paint can shaker that take the work out of it.

Most rattle can instructions say shake for at least 1 minute or more.

That's tiring on the arm, and since building the shaker I have found the longer you shake the can, the better it sprays.

I set the timer for at least 10 minutes (sometimes 20 if it's an old can) and walk away.

Come back and they spray like you expect, no spitting and spattering.

The shaker is a power window motor, a 12V SLA battery and a hardware store timer, plus the bit's and bob's to assemble it.

Cheers! :grin2:
That shaker looks so awesome and off-the-hook, maybe a little bit of mad scientist. A great example of necessity being the mother of invention.:tup::tup::tup:

·
Registered
463 Posts

Yep, I have an old forced air house furnace in my garage. (Flame Master)

On a cool day or in the winter,
I set the paint can in front of the warm air vent(s) while the furnace is running of course. :wink2:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have just finished building a gauge cluster to mount on my center console (for my '69) I had powder coated it with Eastwood's satin black. It is a dead on match to the black on the dash.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have just finished building a gauge cluster to mount on my center console (for my '69) I had powder coated it with Eastwood's satin black. It is a dead on match to the black on the dash.
Thanks d-train I'll check out Eastwoods satin black.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts