Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ’69 Mustang convertible in my backyard. I have a 460 in my F 250 from ’71. I like to drop the 460 in the Mustang. I know everything is possible, but what kind of problems am I looking at??? I will rebuild the front-end suspension and steering with stuff from Total Control. I have to go and get a transmission for it and I like a manual. What do I look for here??

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Crites Restorations or MPG makes the mounts and headers for the swap.As for the trans if you want a manual trans you will need a big block toploader and bellhousing and the bellhousings are fairly scarce.You could use a scattershield though and I here the tremec TKO has the same pattern as a toploader so you could put a 5 speed behind it as well.An automatic would be the easiest but I would never discourage anyone from using a stick as I love rowing those gears myself

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I would be hesitant to use anything but a toploader or a C6 for that big block, if memory serves me right those 460`s came with 375hp factory rated with 490 ft lb torque, thats a lot of stock big block, any signigicant mods and you have quite a nasty motor. As far as suspension, look at the boss 429`s and what they had for front suspension, it may not be to different from a standard big block mustang.

In conclusion, no matter how you do it, run that 460, that would be one Mustang to fear on the street or strip.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Tom, there's 2 problems. 1: traction. 2:its not mine! Just kidding...I'd go for it. sounds like a fun ride. Look at the FM archives to see how they hacked the towers to gain more room around the headers and spark plugs.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
If you don't want to modify the shock towers or engine compartment for the 460, you don't have to. The 460 will bolt in without any mods and MPG makes a kit with headers that allows a Victor 460 intake with Dominator to fit under the stock hood(little clearance left but it does fit) without hood scoop or hole. A shorter intake would allow an air cleaner under the stock hood and that is super stealthy sleeper material there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for all your reply, very help full. Your comments are kind of a go sign for me. I will for sure get some problems down the road I need some help with and you all will hear about

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sounds cool, I have a friend that has same set up now, he built it many years ago and has not driven it for many years, it is all repainted and just needs to be put back together again, he also went with a 4 speed.
If I could build such a car I think I would try a C4 as many here have used them behind heavy cars and modified big blocks with very good luck and I am just lazy, like to just slid the shift handle ahead and feel the hit of each gear. Go For It and Good Luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts