Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Investigating wheel/tire combos and the following was recommended as a direct fit. Wondering if the rears will rub and hoping someone can provide some insight? Both rims have a zero offset.
Rear275/35/2020 x 10
Front245/45/1818 x 8
I guess you need to get under the car and measure a few things. For the rear I would put jack stands under the axle and remove the wheels. You can put a straight edge on the face of the brake flange and then measure to the distance to the frame on the inside, and the wheel arch on the outside and see how much room you have. With the ride height you indicated you want, you will want to take a close look at the wheel tub at the top to see how much room you have for upward wheel travel.

Take your cardboard disc idea and make a cross section piece that represents the wheel and tire width. Mount that tool to the hub and rotate it around to see where you have interference, or not. You can move the cross section piece around to simulate different off sets to find what works best for your vehicle.

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I guess you need to get under the car and measure a few things. For the rear I would put jack stands under the axle and remove the wheels. You can put a straight edge on the face of the brake flange and then measure to the distance to the frame on the inside, and the wheel arch on the outside and see how much room you have. With the ride height you indicated you want, you will want to take a close look at the wheel tub at the top to see how much room you have for upward wheel travel.

Take your cardboard disc idea and make a cross section piece that represents the wheel and tire width. Mount that tool to the hub and rotate it around to see where you have interference, or not. You can move the cross section piece around to simulate different off sets to find what works best for your vehicle.
Thanks 70XL, thats a great idea. Off to take some measurements.

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

Based on my measurements, this is what I came up with.
Rectangle Parallel Font Diagram Slope

Automotive tire Door Table Wood Floor

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Once you get started with the cardboard mockup, it's hard to stop there.

This represents the outside of the tire (+/- a few beers). It will probably be close to the inner quarter, but at least I have a reference point to massage the inner lips before paint. I also let all of the air out of the air shocks (those will go away) and imagine it will be a bit more tucked once the full weight is on the tire. These pics are with the rear end supported by the jack.
Automotive tire Wood Rim Circle Audio equipment

Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Motor vehicle

This is with the weight on the outter shock mount.
Automotive tire Wheel Synthetic rubber Rim Tread

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Your template looks great! Just the right amount of beers. ;)(y) Next, you might want to remove the springs and jack the rear end up to full bump in order to see if the tire might contact the wheel well. The tightest spot will likely be the outer wheel well. I think it is important to check the clearance over the full suspension travel. It would not be good to cut and tire, or scratch a wheel, or deform the sheet metal after the first drive.

Reactions: craving77494

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Have to be careful how close you go to fender lip with width. The rear 3 link Panhard bar arrangement suspension moves side to side during suspension travel. Ask me about shredded white letter Goodyear L60 15's that fit perfect when stationary back in the day.

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Have to be careful how close you go to fender lip with width. The rear 3 link Panhard bar arrangement suspension moves side to side during suspension travel. Ask me about shredded white letter Goodyear L60 15's that fit perfect when stationary back in the day.
ANy idea how much side to side travel? What is the recommended space between the tire and inner lip to avoid damage?

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Have to measure from full compression of axel to bump stops and full extension and another measurement with one side compressed and other at full drop then the other. Panhard bar lets rear move in a limited arc.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Hood

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Just a grabbed photo but you can kind of see if rear goes up it's moving to right. if it goes down going to the left. Some of the crap roads I traveled had bumps on one side and dips on other, lot of motion going on and tire tipping on extremes. just examples.

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Got out the cutoff wheel today and took a shot at cutting the front springs.

When I started the fender lip measured 30-3/4" from the ground, and when the spring was removed it measured 17-1/2". I cut 1-1/2 coils which brought the spring height to 14-1/2" and the fender lip to 26-1/4" from the ground. Below are pictures for reference. I am going to have to relocate my front sway bar mounts about a 1" towards the front of the car. I may also opt to go with a smaller side wall on the tire to make sure I do not have any contact. Probably go from a 245/50/18 (27.6" tall) to a 245/35/18 (24.8" tall).
Furniture Membranophone Drum Wood Ball
Tire Automotive tire Product Wheel Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Check back edge of wheelhouse to back side of tire on full turn. Both directions. Nice looking amount of drop. can't do any drops here since driveway is a 12/12 angle to road. Keep us posted as to the final fitment and the ride.

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Check back edge of wheelhouse to back side of tire on full turn. Both directions. Nice looking amount of drop. can't do any drops here since driveway is a 12/12 angle to road. Keep us posted as to the final fitment and the ride.
Will do, I am out of gas for today, and it's beer time. Also need to pull the driver side apart again as it is sitting higher than the passenger side. I think I did not get the spring seated in the upper pocket correctly. Tomorrow is another day.

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Shop manual should have stock ride height specs but probably from a specific point on the frame to the ground.
I could not find anything in my manual regarding ride height, but I bet your right if a guy could find it. I believe the stock tire is a 225/70/15

Hoping someone can give me an idea......

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
I know I have that info somewhere. I it got once, a long time ago, from a shop that did an alignment for me. It was a range, at least 1 inch, maybe two, but that doesn't help either of us right now. The dimension was from the top of the wheel arch to the ground. I know where it should be, I just have to do some archeology on my desk to see if it is there. :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I know I have that info somewhere. I it got once, a long time ago, from a shop that did an alignment for me. It was a range, at least 1 inch, maybe two, but that doesn't help either of us right now. The dimension was from the top of the wheel arch to the ground. I know where it should be, I just have to do some archeology on my desk to see if it is there. :rolleyes: :D
Appreciate anything you can provide and your time 70XL!!

21 - 40 of 50 Posts