Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

69' XL Getting the stance right

5K views 55 replies 16 participants last post by  cwazywazy 
#1 ·
When I was ordering parts for the project, I mistakenly orderered stock front springs for a car with A/C. I have since done an A/C delete and moved the battery to the trunk. This is causing the front end to ride way to high for my liking. I am considering two options, a complete set of Eaton springs or a full set of PMT Fabrication coil overs, but would like to get some feedback from the community.

Wheels & Tires
Now:
Rear 255/60/15 These rub the quarter lips so I have added air shocks. Likely due to incorrect backspacing, they are what came with the car.
Front 215/65/15

Planned:
Rear 275/45/20
Front 235/50/18

The Eaton springs I am looking at are +1.5 in the back and -2 in the front (without A/C) ~ $820 shipped.
The PMT coilovers are $886 before shipping.

Below is a pic of the front ride height without the hood and bumper installed. I know the springs will settle a little with time, but not the 6.5" i am currently seeing from the top of the wheel arch to the top of the tire.
Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire Vehicle

This is the stance I am shooting for.
Wheel Vehicle Tire Car Hood

Any advice on lowering springs vs. coilovers and tire backspacing would sure be appreciated so that I can achieve the overall stance I am looking for.

See less See more
#37 ·
I know I have that info somewhere. I it got once, a long time ago, from a shop that did an alignment for me. It was a range, at least 1 inch, maybe two, but that doesn't help either of us right now. The dimension was from the top of the wheel arch to the ground. I know where it should be, I just have to do some archeology on my desk to see if it is there. :rolleyes: :D

#42 ·
Well....after much diliberation and after cutting the front springs, I decided to go with the full PMT Fabrication setup for the front end.

This means my full front/rear suspension is PMT:
  • Tubular control arms upper/lower
  • Front Coilovers (dual adjustable)
  • Strut Rods
  • Front/rear sway bars
  • Rear lower controls arms
  • Adjustable panhard bar
  • Rear springs
  • Rear shocks
Tool Bicycle part Red Automotive design Font

Bicycle part Automotive lighting Red Font Auto part

#50 ·
I am back on the hunt for a set of these upper control arm nuts/plates. Touring919 was very nice and shipped me a pair, but the USPS has lost them in transit. As I mentioned to Tourin919, they can get me a $2 rubber spatula from Amazon, but these hard to find parts get lost......ughhhhh.

If anyone has a pair they are willing to part with, I am happy to pay a reasonable price for them.

Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle Bicycle handlebar Bicycle frame Bicycle part

#51 ·
I am back on the hunt for a set of these upper control arm nuts/plates. Touring919 was very nice and shipped me a pair, but the USPS has lost them in transit. As I mentioned to Tourin919, they can get me a $2 rubber spatula from Amazon, but these hard to find parts get lost......ughhhhh.

If anyone has a pair they are willing to part with, I am happy to pay a reasonable price for them.

Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle Bicycle handlebar Bicycle frame Bicycle part
Good news!!! After initiating a USPS lost mail search it looks like they found it, and it is going to be delivered today. WOO HOO!!!

#53 ·
Don't reinvent the wheel. Safe money and a truck load of time. Call PMT Fabrication direct. Super helpful people with a massive amount of experience. He will let you know spring height and compression rate based on a final stance or look you're going for. He can have them made to order as I recall. *Springs can cut off a hand or arm. Just do it once and move on to other areas of your Galaxie.

Cheers!

#54 ·
You must be cautious when driving close to the fender lip. During suspension travel, the rear 3-link Panhard bar suspension sways from side to side. Ask me about the worn-out Goodyear L60 15s in white letters from the past that were stationery-perfect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.