Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My window regulators are a bit hard to roll up and while I have the door panels off I thought I would remove the regulators, clean up the old/hard grease, lube and reinstall. For those of you that have done this, are there any gotchas or tips/tricks you can share.

Does the window crank mechanism come out with the regulator assembly or will that be a separate component?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
It should be all one big contraption. DesertXL has some threads on restoring window regulators that should be helpful information.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Thanks 70XL!!
Hello craving77494,

That was very kind indeed of 70XL to mention one of my posts. Many of my old posts here are devoid of pictures thanks to the Photobucket debacle, however the other ford galaxie site backed up my pictures and those mirrored threads are still intact.

This is one of the threads I made on windows and locks. Granted it's on a '68 4 door, but the method is the same for 3rd and 4th generation full size.

Window and lock refurbishment

Cheers

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello craving77494,

That was very kind indeed of 70XL to mention one of my posts. Many of my old posts here are devoid of pictures thanks to the Photobucket debacle, however the other ford galaxie site backed up my pictures and those mirrored threads are still intact.

This is one of the threads I made on windows and locks. Granted it's on a '68 4 door, but the method is the same for 3rd and 4th generation full size.

Cheers
Thank you so much DesertXL!!! That tutorial was exactly what I needed to prepare myself for the rebuild. Excellent work!!

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello craving77494,

Cheers
DesertXL, how did you wind the spring back to it's perch? Mine needs to wind almost a full turn and that thing is under a TON of tension. Any special tips you can share? I have adjust the regulator full up and down and this thing is kicking my butt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts