Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased headers for my 1970 Galxaie 500 351W, was told that one for a fairlane/toreno would work. I have headman headders and bolted them on, only to find out I cant hookup the shifting linkage because one tube is dirrectly in the way and 2nd they both exit dirrectly into the tranny crossmember. Any ideas what I can do. Thanks

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
I purchased headers for my 1970 Galxaie 500 351W, was told that one for a fairlane/toreno would work. I have headman headders and bolted them on, only to find out I cant hookup the shifting linkage because one tube is dirrectly in the way and 2nd they both exit dirrectly into the tranny crossmember. Any ideas what I can do. Thanks
Well it sound like what I ran into when we installed ours. I had to cut the tube that hit the shifter and weld in a new formed tube to re route it. Second issue what the cross member. Took a rosebud torch to the primary's while bolted on the engine and put a large pipe in the back and pushed them outword while red hot. So much for keeping them nice. What size primary's did you get?

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Is your car a column shift? My headers did not get close to the linkage on my floor shift car. The need to turn the collectors to better clear the trans crossmember is normal. For my Flowtech headers we cut kerfs in the collectors to bend them and welded them back together. The friend who was helping me said it was about the easiest header install he's ever had, and he's had many. There was also one small dimple required in one primary for the pitman arm.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts