Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my worn out leaking control valve replaced with a brand new unit along with new hoses to the cylinder and idler arm. With the car on a lift,turned wheels lock to lock several time to get air out of the system. Also had the front end aligned.

Took it out for a ride, doesn't wander like it did but when I make a gradual turn, left or right, it doesn't react till I get the steering wheel about 10-15 degrees from center then it dives in that direction. I cannot turn the steering wheel at all if the car is on the ground sitting still.

It's a brand new valve. Did I get a bad one??

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
I just rebuilt my Control valve in my 66 Fairlane and replaced the smaller hoses for good measure. Made a world of a difference in the steering and it reacts right away when I turn.

I can turn my wheels while sitting still but I do that only when the car is running. If you mean doing it with the car turned off then I don't do it, that puts a lot of strain on the system if you ask me.

It sounds like you still have some air in your system.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just rebuilt my Control valve in my 66 Fairlane and replaced the smaller hoses for good measure. Made a world of a difference in the steering and it reacts right away when I turn.

I can turn my wheels while sitting still but I do that only when the car is running. If you mean doing it with the car turned off then I don't do it, that puts a lot of strain on the system if you ask me.

It sounds like you still have some air in your system.
Thanks! Got it figured out. Gear box too tight and weak P/S pump.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts