Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
They are a dark gray, what I would call Anthracite gray. Similar to the grille colour with slightly rough texture almost like a frosted feel. I could never track down a paint for them back in the 80's when I had my '70 so good luck. I ended up painting mine semi gloss black and polishing the fins.Stu

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
No prob hoped it helped somewhat.

If it is the proper mach 1 grille with sport lamps that has not been painted then it should be dark gray plastic also. Stu

·
Registered
1 Posts
On 2006-12-01 14:58, drksuroo wrote:
Has anyone painted or coated these moldings lately? What works?
[/quote]

The moldings are cast aluminum, so just painting doesn't adhere the best without giving the metal some "tooth" for the paint to adhere to.

On my '70 Mach I, I removed the moldings (carefully with trim tools), covered the faces of the Mach I letters, and used a dark argent spray paint I got from California Mustang. I believe the Ford Dark Argent paint would work as well.

At the same time, I got a new grill from Ford (molded in the right color), and scuffed the aluminum molding in the grill (parallel to the floor), and painted it the same color.

My car had the styled steel wheel covers, and they were pretty beat up. I accidentally found out that you could separate the pie-dish/rim from the cast centers and the Mustang horse caps. So, I bought several at swap meets, and assembled the best rims and centers. For the centers, I used the same dark argent paint, taping the chrome edges, and just washing and scuffing the pot metal surface before painting. Then I assembled the best 4 wheel covers; they looked great.

Using the same paint on the grill, side moldings, and wheel covers gave the car a fresh coordinated appearance that looked like it was delivered from the factory that way.

Hope this helps!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts