Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the car and detailed the engine compartment and started putting everything back together. Mounted the p/s pump and put on the belts. Everything lines up perfect but I had to loosen the p/s line out of the back of the pump to adjust the belt tension. Tightening the p/s line with it actually touching the exhaust manifold it has maybe 1/8" clearance to the shock tower. I do not remember if it was like that when I took it apart and I don't see any other way to run the hose. Could it be the wrong hose?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
No it looks correct, altho it does look a little close...

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
There should be a sheet metal mounting bracket there. Did you forget to put it back on?

(FE Install Shown)

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Agreed, the bracket will dictate the routing. Although it's been a while, I thought the lines ran further under the pump - maybe 4 or 5 o'clock position? I'll see if I have any references for something similar.

David

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Agreed, the bracket will dictate the routing. Although it's been a while, I thought the lines ran further under the pump - maybe 4 or 5 o'clock position? I'll see if I have any references for something similar.

David
Here 'ya go Dave. Maybe save you some trouble.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There should be a sheet metal mounting bracket there. Did you forget to put it back on?

(FE Install Shown)
No sheet metal bracket on it. Just the 3A732 Pump Mounting Bracket. Same identical setup as Mustang and Cougar in illustration KULTULZ sent.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Yeah, that's the difference - the '70 351C that I recall was non-AC like figure "E" where the lines run low. Busch70 has AC lines like figure "D".

David

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, that's the difference - the '70 351C that I recall was non-AC like figure "E" where the lines run low. Busch70 has AC lines like figure "D".

David
That's the problem. I removed the p/s pump and loosened line. Mounted it back on the engine and left all the mounting bolts loose. There's no way I can swing that line low enough to clear the shock tower. If it didn't hit the shock tower it would hit the oil pan.

I check all my sources, NPD, CJ Pony and Mustangs Unlimited for the hose. None list a specific hose for the 351C. All that's shown is 351 which looks like the one I have. They never mention with or without a/c.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
This was the setup before dis-assembly?

AC or PS cooler?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
If you will notice on the Parts ILL blow-up, the MUST (351C) assembly is detailed in Ill Details D & C. There is no 3C510 (Brkt) @ the pump. It seems the assembly (hoses) are held steady @ the brkt @ the control valve. So the setup you show seems to be correct.

HOWEVER... :)

MPC lists two pressure hoses by build date.

D0ZZ 3A719-H (Before 1/26/70) @ 22 1/2" L, and
D0ZZ 3A719-E (From 1/26/70) @ 25"L

There is no cooler (3D746) listed for the 351W or C, just the BOSS 302 and FE installs.

It may be (this being the first year of the 351C install) that the later hose may have been an attempt to correct an installation problem (TSB). You would have to have both hoses to compare.

Usually, there is a metal strap band attached to the hose asm (if OEM) to identify the asm. If you can find this and the production date it may be that the problem can be corrected. The metal tube being that close to the exh manifold will cause the fluid to pickup extreme heat.

Maybe some heat wrap or a fabricated heat shield? It definitely needs a cooler (IMO)

SPECIAL FORD MUSCLE FORUMS KULTULZ DISCLAIMER-

The above information is only my opinion and some information may have been copy and paste in nature. Your opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
While I can't see the setup to verify fit, I would look into this solution to several issues...

David

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Also found the same hose under # 70692 in several brands (Edelmann, Master Power, etc.). You should be able to return the hose to the local store if it doesn't fit well. Option #2 is to just have one made to fit and work well as described here.

David

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
If you will notice on the Parts ILL blow-up, the MUST (351C) assembly is detailed in Ill Details D & C. There is no 3C510 (Brkt) @ the pump. It seems the assembly (hoses) are held steady @ the brkt @ the control valve. So the setup you show seems to be correct.

HOWEVER... :)

MPC lists two pressure hoses by build date.

D0ZZ 3A719-H (Before 1/26/70) @ 22 1/2" L, and
D0ZZ 3A719-E (From 1/26/70) @ 25"L

There is no cooler (3D746) listed for the 351W or C, just the BOSS 302 and FE installs.

It may be (this being the first year of the 351C install) that the later hose may have been an attempt to correct an installation problem (TSB). You would have to have both hoses to compare.

Usually, there is a metal strap band attached to the hose asm (if OEM) to identify the asm. If you can find this and the production date it may be that the problem can be corrected. The metal tube being that close to the exh manifold will cause the fluid to pickup extreme heat.

Maybe some heat wrap or a fabricated heat shield? It definitely needs a cooler (IMO)

SPECIAL FORD MUSCLE FORUMS KULTULZ DISCLAIMER-

The above information is only my opinion and some information may have been copy and paste in nature. Your opinion(s) and mileage may vary.
Not familiar with MPC. Website?

All the hoses I've looked at appear to have the same bends at the pump, although it is kinda hard to tell by the photos, so they wouldn't do me any good for clearance.

No metal tag on the hose. According to Marti Report, car was built 6/25/70.

Thanks for all the input guys! Hopefully I/we'll get it figured out.

Spent the last 2 hours searchin'. Looking in NPD, photo of D0ZZ 3A719-H, 1970 Mustang (Before 1/26/70), 302 W/O OIL COOLER, 351, PUMP END listed in concourse hoses. I believe this is the hose I have. The only other one they have that might work is 3A719-12. However, it's listed for 1969 Mustang, 302 W/O COOLER, 351W and 1970 Mustang, BOSS 429 and I'm not sure about the sharp bend off the pump. I'm only about 25 minutes from them so maybe I'll go take a look at one.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
The difference in the hose I pictured, is that it wraps tightly downward and under the pump like the pic of the non-AC hose - not across the back.

David

·
Registered
179 Posts
Here's the P/S hose that came on my 70 Mach1 with A/C.

1. First pic shows where it hooks up to the back of pump.

2. Second pic shows how it goes along back of pump between shock tower, I can put my four fingers between P/S lne and shock tower.

3. Now the line bends around pump and goes maybe 1 1/2" to 2" then bends to go straight down to bottom of pump.

4. Here is how it comes out at bottom of pump to pressure hose.

No metal tags on hose, sorry for crappy pics but I was working on it today when I thought of this thread so I just picked up my camera and jacked up car to shoot a few pics. Hope it helps..... Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here's the P/S hose that came on my 70 Mach1 with A/C.

1. First pic shows where it hooks up to the back of pump.

2. Second pic shows how it goes along back of pump between shock tower, I can put my four fingers between P/S lne and shock tower.

3. Now the line bends around pump and goes maybe 1 1/2" to 2" then bends to go straight down to bottom of pump.

4. Here is how it comes out at bottom of pump to pressure hose.

No metal tags on hose, sorry for crappy pics but I was working on it today when I thought of this thread so I just picked up my camera and jacked up car to shoot a few pics. Hope it helps..... Jim
None of the p/s hose listings for 70 Mustang no matter what engine say anything about a/c.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I wonder if there's even a difference with the P/S hose on a non A/C car to a A/C car, I think the power steering pump is in the same position no matter what, the A/C unit just sits above it and makes for extra brackets.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts