Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the factory tach so there's just a temp and fuel gauge. Fuel gauge worked fine but the temp gauge didn't work. No big deal, I have the console gauge pod with oil press and temp gauge.

While doing some engine detailing I figured I'd try a new temp sender to get the gauge working. Got everything done today and got it started. Wow, the temp gauge works but now the fuel gauge don't. ???

While I was working on everything and waiting for paint to dry, I noticed there was a bunch of wires from the clock and map light that were hanging in the glove box and getting hung up opening/closing the glove box. The clock worked, so I replaced the bulbs, straightened all the wires out and tied them up. Now, the clock will run for about a minute and stop. Also, got one of those DIN radio bezels and installed a Kenwood which I ran all new wires for.

Did I knock somthin' loose under there?

Oh, here's a good one. If I turn the lights on, both turn signal indicators light! With the lights on, use turn signal or emergency flasher, indicators blink but slower than without the lights on. I just got the car Aug. 31 and it spent most of the time apart in the garage. I never had the occasion to drive it at night so I don't know if I caused it.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I would guess the T/S switch is causing the lighting issue. And the other, who knows, but probably just disturbed some wires causing the rest of the problems. I remember a looooonnngggg time ago taking the clock cluster out for install of stereo/ cb (yeah was a VERY long time ago) and when i put it all back together I never could get the clock to work again. Before that it kept very accurate time....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would guess the T/S switch is causing the lighting issue. And the other, who knows, but probably just disturbed some wires causing the rest of the problems. I remember a looooonnngggg time ago taking the clock cluster out for install of stereo/ cb (yeah was a VERY long time ago) and when i put it all back together I never could get the clock to work again. Before that it kept very accurate time....
Got thinking about the lighting issue this AM and the turn signals and indicators act screwy if you have a bulb burnt out. My park/turn light assemblies are pretty scuzzy so I removed them and have them soaking in some stuff. Duh.... Rinsed them off, dried them and plugged them in. Wallah....fixed. Didn't help the fuel gauge though.

The clock is screwy. I unhook the battery when I mess with wires. When I hook the battery back up, the clock will run for about 30 seconds. Got side tracked today but I plan on messin' with that clock wiring tomorrow.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unplugged the connector under dash going to the fuel sender and grounded it. Gauge goes to full. Plugged it back in, unhooked wire from sender and grounded it to the sender lock ring. Gauge goes full.

What's left? Voltage regulator and sender. Temp gauge works and it's hooked to the regulator. Fuel sender looks like a new one and worked fine. The car has sat for the past two month while I worked on it.

What's else is there??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts