Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a difference in the pan or only the filter? Most cast aluminum pans specify 70 and up. Do I really need an extended pick up if the level is good on the dipstick? For engine oil increased capacity is good for higher RPMs since the oil is at the top of the engine. Do transmissions suck pans dry?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Some models had deeper pans depending on what they were in...Bronco's and some 4 cly's had deep pans, are two that come to mind.
If you run a deep pan, be it factory or alloy aftermarket, you should run an extended pickup especially in a racing situation.
Though there is some debate on the subject, I think it is possible to pump the pan dry...or atleast loose fluid from around the filter pickup area (once again - especially in a race senario).

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My main issue is that it leaks. I was looking at a cast pan to hopefully stop the leaks. I bought the trans used and while changing the filter it was obvious the pan bolts were overtightened and the rail was deformed. So.... do all pans interchange as long as the pick-up is the right hieght?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: brianj5600 on 9/12/06 8:43am ]</font>

·
Registered
945 Posts
As far as I'm aware, all C4's use the same bolt pattern. C5's are also the same though some have a "lump" in the pan to fit the add-on timing body.
The cast pans add rigidity to the trans as well but the one we are using wasn't machined too well...it wasn't "level".

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
All the C4s use the same pattern, Some are case fill and some are pan fill. Most aftermarket pans are designed to convert from case to pan fill if needed. I suspect that the 70+ year designation may be because many aftermarket deep pans come with an extended pickup filter which will not fit the early valve bodies. The pan would fit fine but you would need to find a filter elsewhere.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
i make my own pans

this one is two pans welded together(pan fill C5)

i bought this one

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 64 TBOLT on 9/12/06 8:37pm ]</font>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts