Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get the gas tank out of my '70 Torino GT and came across this problem: There's some kind of what I believe is a vapor return system component attached to the top of the tank (see attached photo) that has to be removed before the tank can come out. We've unhooked the lines running to it, and tried to turn the 3 nuts (2 on the flanges and one in the central hole) and all they do is spin. There's no way I can see to access the back side of the 2 outer nuts which seem to be on a stud or bolt that goes through the tank wall inside the tank, so I'm stuck until I figure this out. By the way, this is a California car originally (and still).

Thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
if it were my car, i would remove the unit with a hack saw or angle grinder and then try to get the bolt ends out of the hole where the unit "plugged in"... then cork it or have someone weld a peice of sheet metal over it. screw emissions... haha

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeeaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh...um, I probably should have mentioned that I'm trying to keep it stock and not jack up the original parts. But thanks.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
It's an Emissions Vapor return unit and you're NOT going to get those bolts loose unless you use a small 1/4 or 3/8" drive impact on them. If you hit the two outer nuts on the black unit with the sudden force of an impact gun (even thought they're only 10MM) they will likely come loose. The center nut is not there to keep the black unit on the tank so you can leave it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeeaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh...um, I probably should have mentioned that I'm trying to keep it stock and not jack up the original parts. But thanks.
lol ok, good luck then!!

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
That's not a Ford stock part. That's some BS someone put on for Cal emissions. Your car is old enough that it isn't required. Looks more like some growth that needs to be surgically removed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts