Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am no expert but that seems way high to me. Do lots of research before buying. It does look like a nice car.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The add says cash offers, so the price is negotiable. For 20K the car better be right, top to bottom, need nothing repaired, and you better love 70 Torinos. Id check out the car in person, thoroughly, and if you dont suspect any funny business (hidden problems) make an offer you feel comfortable with, leaving a little room for negotiation.

Nathan

PS Its a good lookin car!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, switching gears so to speak. I came across a 70 Torino Cobra Jet yesterday. I was able to contact the owner. He said the car wasn't on the market, but he'd be open to an offer. I haven't looked at the car closely yet as it was on the other side of a fence. It looked like the badge on the fender said 428, but it was getting dark. I thought the 70 CJ's came with 429's. It's a yellow car with black hood and interior.

The owner told me it is a true 4-speed car CJ. Mostly original with no rust, but has been repainted and engine rebuilt. I don't think it is a GT. I plan to take a close look at it this weekend if weather permits. What things should I look for (casting numbers, VINs, data plate codes) to verify its authenticity? What are the problem areas specific to the 70-71 Torinos? And finally, what is a fair price for a 70 CJ in #2 or #3 condition?

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
HA ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ah haaaaaaa haaa haaaa! ARE YOU EFFING SERIOUS?????????????????????????????????????

Who in the name of all that's mighty wants $20 K for a POS run of the mill car like that?

Should i stop now or really give it a go? That 351C sports roof car is probably maxed out at about $5500 bucks.

A 429 JC Torino is a bit better on the collector scale, in fact everything CJ in either 428 or 429 is a bit higher. But max of probably $18K on a good #2 car.

The CJ's are getting a lot of attention lately, but not $20K worth, and a #2 car is a FRICKING NICE car that has no rust and needs very very little. A #3 car has no rust and only needs a little work to make it a #2.

Numbering a car's state takes a LOT of inspection and time.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it a Torino COBRA? Or a Torino with a CJ engine? Or both? Does it have the Shaker Hood and blacked out taillite panel?
According to the owner, it is a J-code Cobra Jet Torino. It had what looked like a shaker scoop. I only had a three quarter front view from behind the fence so I couldn't see the back. I haven't inspected the car closely (or in the light) yet or seen the VIN. I'm trying to educate myself before I do so I don't make a costly mistake.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HA ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ah haaaaaaa haaa haaaa! ARE YOU EFFING SERIOUS?????????????????????????????????????

Who in the name of all that's mighty wants $20 K for a POS run of the mill car like that?

Should i stop now or really give it a go? That 351C sports roof car is probably maxed out at about $5500 bucks.

A 429 JC Torino is a bit better on the collector scale, in fact everything CJ in either 428 or 429 is a bit higher. But max of probably $18K on a good #2 car.

The CJ's are getting a lot of attention lately, but not $20K worth, and a #2 car is a FRICKING NICE car that has no rust and needs very very little. A #3 car has no rust and only needs a little work to make it a #2.

Numbering a car's state takes a LOT of inspection and time.
I've moved on from the red Torino above. This is a different car that I'm considering now. I know it is not in #1 condition since it was not locked up in a climate-controlled garage.. At best, it is a 2, but most likely a 3. It looks like this car.

·
Registered
576 Posts
One of the sharpest body styles/trim packages ever produced...I want one, don't care if it's yellow or red....Santa??? are you listening???

I'd try not to spend more then $12,000 on one unless it was EXCEPTIONALLY nice and needed very little.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts