Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been pondering for ages on what engine is actually fitted to my XL.
Marti report says it left the factory with a 390, but the previous owner (and the previous ones to that from the history file I have) all say it has a 428.
Found a code stamped on the block C7ME-A. In a decode I found on a different American website, that equates to a 428.
Problem solved.
Obviously it's had an engine change at some point in it's life. Must have been stateside because the only history I have is from when it arrived here in UK.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
This is what I found on the FE site. C7ME-A can be a 352, 360, 390, 410, 428 or even a 330, 361,391. Those numbers do not have anything to do with size

·
Registered
459 Posts
looks like you could use some new core plugs. you can check stroke with a dowel to eliminate the smaller displacements

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looks like you could use some new core plugs. you can check stroke with a dowel to eliminate the smaller displacements
I know.
Been told before about measuring the stroke. Looks like it's something I need to do to settle it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked out the garage that sold her (address on the Marti report) in 1970.
It's still there, still selling Fords.
In Tampa Florida
Looks a bit modern now though, guessing it looked a bit different in 1970.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Done the dowel thing today and it came out as around 96mm(3.78") give or take a few, but no where near 101mm(3.98" which would make it a 428) so I think I have a 390cu engine here.
The history file(from previous owners) says it's a 428, but I have proved them wrong today.
Hopefully that means it still has the original engine 390 fitted (as quoted on the Marti report.)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Done the dowel thing today and it came out as around 96mm(3.78") give or take a few, but no where near 101mm(3.98" which would make it a 428) so I think I have a 390cu engine here.
The history file(from previous owners) says it's a 428, but I have proved them wrong today.
Hopefully that means it still has the original engine 390 fitted (as quoted on the Marti report.)

Date of the block?

·
Registered
111 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts