Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace my belt driven fan with a bigger flexa-lite one, but I need a UK supplier ideally. Failing that a reliable US one who can ship to UK for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another question,
The one that is fitted is about 15", yet the space within the cowl is around 19".
Is there a reason for the gap around the circumference?
Could I fit a larger fan?
Seen 17, 18 and 19" ones with 7 blades (mine only has 6).

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I believe the fan is more efficient if it is close to the size of the opening in the shroud, so a better fit fan will allow the cooling system to function optimally.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
you need about 3/4 " between the fan and shroud. also 1/3 of the fan should be inside the shroud
Measured again, more accurately this time, and it is 20.5" to 21" inside the cowl. The fan is about 17" not 15". From that it seems I could get a bigger fan. Asked the question at the Derale website and they said the same. "need 3/4 inch either side of fan in the cowl for best performance" they recommended an 18" fan. So ordered one.
Lets see if that cools her down a bit.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Measured again, more accurately this time, and it is 20.5" to 21" inside the cowl. The fan is about 17" not 15". From that it seems I could get a bigger fan. Asked the question at the Derale website and they said the same. "need 3/4 inch either side of fan in the cowl for best performance" they recommended an 18" fan. So ordered one.
Lets see if that cools her down a bit.

New fan arrived (rather quickly too), now fitted and tested. Seems to keep her a lot cooler, I find the electric fan isn't running when I turn her off now, and only seems to kick in when in slow traffic.

Fan looks a lot nicer too, being stainless steel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts