Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question. Does anyone know or does anyone have a 69/70 XL that had a factory hood scoop installed? Did they actually even install hood scoops on these models? I am itching to install a 69/70 Fairlane scoop on my 70 XL, is it even possible? How tough would it be?

Cheers!
Sherwin

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I am kinda thinking of one like this. I actually have a line on an original 70 scoop from a Torino but am concerned if it will properly fit? Also, is it going to be cosmetic or should I have a body shop cut a hole when its been installed? No way am I doing the install myself.

Hood Scoop Kit - Ford Parts

Sherwin

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
I am not sure if that scoop will follow the lines properly. The hood is a little tough to add a soop to because of its narrow tapered buldge. I would love to see pictures if you try it, who knows, it might work.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
70's comet scoop - just set on for review
It is an OEM scoop and seems to follow the lines perfectly.

You would not need to cut a hole in the hood unless you want some type of ram-air. The scoops are held on with threaded pins and retaining nuts. Mounting holes would have to be drilled.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
It is an OEM scoop and seems to follow the lines perfectly.

You would not need to cut a hole in the hood unless you want some type of ram-air. The scoops are held on with threaded pins and retaining nuts. Mounting holes would have to be drilled.

Have to agree that the comet/cougar scoop fits the car good, of course I could be bias since thats my boys car. LOL

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Unless there are clearance issues/ram air needed/wanted I wouldnt do a hole in the hood....

JMHO....

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Hope it will fit, the body lines on the Gals are pretty wide, the Mustang Scoop probably wont "straddle" the lines but maybe will set on top of the 'hump'...

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
The Cougar/Cyclone/Comet scoop is a classic design, and looks good on almost anything due to the width and spread at the rear that follows most hood feature lines that also spread. In-fact, we laid one on my daughter's Honda for giggles and were surprised how good it looked. So, we started dropping it on every car and truck in sight, and they all looked great with it. Well, maybe not the Cadillac. That looked a bit odd. LOL

Just for reference, there are two primary versions of that scoop, though they all look the same on the outside. The C9WB is the Cougar Eliminator version, the C9GB is the Cyclone version, and the D14B and D34B are the Comet versions. The first two are identical and numbered as such. The Comet scoop is an update with more stud holes to align with the Maverick/Comet hood holes, but still interchangeable with the C9 version by moving the studs to other holes. The D1 version is molded with three part numbers and the D3 carries four. You can often use this info to get one at a better price.

David

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
The Cougar/Cyclone/Comet scoop is a classic design, and looks good on almost anything due to the width and spread at the rear that follows most hood feature lines that also spread.

Just for reference, there are two primary versions of that scoop, though they all look the same on the outside. The C9WB is the Cougar Eliminator version, the C9GB is the Cyclone version, and the D14B and D34B are the Comet versions. The first two are identical and numbered as such. The Comet scoop is an update with more stud holes to align with the Maverick/Comet hood holes, but still interchangeable with the C9 version by moving the studs to other holes. The D1 version is molded with three part numbers and the D3 carries four. You can often use this info to get one at a better price.

David
So is it the same as the Mustang scoop? Meaning same part no's etc? The odd ball out as I am thinking is the 429 Boss scoop as it was larger (wider, taller) than the 'regular CJ' scoop.

And yes I have never seen anything they were put on that made them look out of place, chebbies included. (friend has one on his v-8 LUV and it looks 'right')

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
So is it the same as the Mustang scoop? Meaning same part no's etc? The odd ball out as I am thinking is the 429 Boss scoop as it was larger (wider, taller) than the 'regular CJ' scoop.
It's very different from a Mustang scoop, and only used on Mercury cars. Similar but shorter than a BOSS scoop, and with different spread. In-fact, when restoring an original scoop a few years back, I sanded through the factory primer on the underside and found SHORT BOSS stamped in fat red letters directly on the fiberglass. I'd heard rumors of it called the Short Boss, but had never seen evidence of it before. Yet more useless trivia... LOL

David

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Thats what I actually thought, and only brought up the Mustang scoop because of the ebay link. As I said the mustang scoop (in link) isnt the same as the one in the pictures posted by Scott.

The linked scoop is quite a bit narrower than the Mercury ones. (as in photo of Scotts XL) ( i can provide a measurement width wise if needed, have my factory hood upstairs)

Just FYI to the OP.....

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Yep thats a Mustang scoop.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts