Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my dad and i are having a debate on which carb to get our 351 4v cleveland 'stock motor' 4speed.. possibly a rollor cam someday.. he says he use to run a carter 750cfm carb that ran great back in the day..but after some research it sounds like a 650 would be plenty.. was thinking about a aluminum holley DP in 650.. he thinks 750.. this is going to be just a street cruiser.. so better drivability is prefered.. Thanks for any advise!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Not a carb guru but just speaking from my own experience, my wife's Mach1 has a 351C 2V with a performer 2V to 4 V intake with a 625cfm road demon carb, the bottom end is bone stock except for a upgraded cam for tork, it has MSD ingnition and FPA headers with dual flowmasters with H pipe. Now it may be the carb itself but it runs rich no matter how I tune it changed plugs / increase decrease gap / changed to smaller jets with no help. I was told on another forum that these engines came from the factory with something like 570cfm carbs and I was over carbing a pretty much stock motor. Car is for sale but if it doesn't sell I plan on changing to a Holley Street Avenger 570cfm carb to see if that helps otherwise her Mach1 is a real tork monster on the street. If I had the cash it would have a MSD Atomic EFI but with economy that's not in the budget. Good Luck and others may have a better solution for you ... Jim

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Take a look at the QFT HR 680 or 780 VS. Great for street/strip and cruising.

·
Registered
718 Posts
i had 3 351c 4v engines. put a 750 on it. i know a few guys that love the old carter. i'm a holley guy. either one in a 750 cfm.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I would go with a 650 DP.If you're just into street driving that should be plenty.I'm not into vacuum secondaries myself but that's my own preference.If you decide you need to step up to a 750 after the cam swap or other mods you can always buy a 750HP main body from Holley later down the road.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts