Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, I've been in kind of a pickle. My truck has a great running 360 with flow tech headers on it and that's about it. It has original tran being a 4 speed gr gear. 32 inch tires stock rear end.
Now that you know what I'm dealing with I have a few questions. I am building a motor that will perform above my own standards and that will at last the rusty old ford body. In 4th gear I top out at about 65 without taching her up too much. I'm trying to raise my 0-60 Time, hp, and top speed. Basically I want the balls to the wall street truck. Doesn't matter if I get 3 mpg as long as I don't have to raise my compression because the stock heads are the best for the 360 but you knew that. Anyways I'm trying figure out what's the best set up for the 360 to keep it passing everything but a gas station. As in cam, intake , carb(cfm), rear end, and all the goods. If I had to change my cr or have a better choice than stock heads throw it at me.
Now the good park is I don't wanna be 80 and finally save the 12k it would cost I'm trying to do it near future. Thank you for looking. Any and all opinions and information, besides gm fans, will be considered. And if you have any questions on some other specs I'll be happy to figure them out for you.

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
Standard FE rules apply, in this order

1 - Headers and good dual exhaust
2 - Recurve the distributor, 12 initial, 36 total, all in by 2800 for a truck helps significantly
3 - Better intake and carb combo - 600 Holley and an Edelbrock RPM, Edelbrock Streetmaster, Holley Street Dominator, 428 iron CJ manifold, Edelbrock F427 all work well. Edelbrock Performers or Performer 390s are a smidge better for torque on a 360, but I have not seen enough benefit to recommend them
4 - More cubic inches - swapping for a good 390 always helps after the list above
5 - More cam (don't be in a hurry for a cam swap in a 360 truck, the other stuff will get you farther, a 360 just doesnt have enough cubes or compression to make a cam swap a big win in a heavy truck)

I stayed away from the gear, but at any point, with 32 inch tall tire, I'd be thinking 4.11s, I'd probably put it equal to the #2 on the list above.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the list, I have number 1 down and I wasn't sure on which intake to get for the 360 and you helped that, do you think 600 cfm with stock cr will work at its full potential ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I planned in changing the distributor next but there are sooooo many choices in changing them, because right now I still have the points on the motor, no problem starting up fires up quick with the 400 starter that's on it, just the fuel response is terrible, if I give it some right out of the gate it goes poof then will start to take off, thought that was the fuel air mix but I tried that, maybe the terrible 2 that's on it. Any input will and has helped

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
The 600 will work fine with a 360 and later if you go 390 it'll work well too

If it backfires when you stomp on it, I;d look at replacing the accelerator pump diaphragm and possibly advance the timing to 10-12 BTDC initial.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't upload pictures through my iPhone but if I could you would see almost that exact color of your truck. My truck is also a registered a.f vehicle. Mines a bit on the rust holes side but I havnt made a decision on motor or body first. Plus I'm a motor junkie I'll probably just end up messing the body up trying to fix it. What's the crank an pistons that I should use for the 390 exchange?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And another question , should I just yak it as high as I can for the block, which I believe is a 400 or maybe 427 looking into that now

1 - 9 of 9 Posts