Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got a small block Pinto and am trying to get it sorted out and could really use some advice. It's got a 66' 289 and when I pulled the valve covers to adjust the valves they were stamped 351. Now, this motor was running pretty rough but would pull very hard and almost chirp 3rd gear (c4) so I pulled all the plugs and wires and set it for 289 firing order. It smoothed out quite a bit but LOST power. The motor looks great and supposedly only has a few thousand miles on it and is all stock ford parts including the freshly rebuilt 4100 carb. I'm considering changing it back but was wondering if you guys could tell me what to look for when I turn the crank manually to see which firing order is correct? Not sure if the P.O. put a 351 cam along with the heads or what. I also adjusted the valves to 289 specs and am wondering if it has the 351 cam and heads if I should have used 351 specs...Any help or advice greatly appreciated-Thanks

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Since you have the valve covers off just watch the valves..Start out with number #1 cylinder..Intake valve closes completely it is ready to fire..Keep turning the crank slowly and see which cylinder is next ready to fire..If it is #5 then it should be normal 289-302 firing order(15426378)..If it is #3 then it is a 351 cam with firing order(13726543)..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, it's at my buddies trans shop today getting a new c4, when I get it back I'll pull the covers again. How about the adjustment, is it the same for the different motors? I tightened to 0 and then another 2/3 turn all around.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
How about the adjustment, is it the same for the different motors? I tightened to 0 and then another 2/3 turn all around.
If you weren't sure about the firing order how did you know when each lifter was on the base of the cam lobe to make the adjustment? Is it a solid lifter cam where you need lash or hydraulic lifter cam where you need preload?

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
If you weren't sure about the firing order how did you know when each lifter was on the base of the cam lobe to make the adjustment? Is it a solid lifter cam where you need lash or hydraulic lifter cam where you need preload?
you don't need to know the firing order to adjust valve lash or preload

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
you don't need to know the firing order to adjust valve lash or preload
Correct, I'll restate my question (but it does save a lot of time and engine turning if you know what cylinder is coming up next).
How did you verify when each lifter was on the base of the cam lobe?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I almost always do mine one cylinder at a time so I don't need the firing order.. I just watch the valves on which ever bank I am working on and adjust accordingly...Since he said he adjusted his with 2/3rds of a turn I sure hope its hydraulic. :eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. To answer your question, I removed the VC's and turned crank manually until each valve was closed and tightened to "0" then another 2/3 turn but never stopped to think that 289/351 firing order would be different when I was adjusting the valves. I just pulled the covers again and they are 6-bolt covers with the valves side by side and #5 fires directly after #1 so I'm guessing that they are 289 cam and 351 heads. They are stamped "351 WF 8J19". Thanks Again-

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Since he said he adjusted his with 2/3rds of a turn I sure hope its hydraulic. :eek:
That's why I asked, since he said he lost power.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there a way to tell? I'm assuming that they're hydraulic but when the valves were on the base circle all of them were easily "spin-able" with my fingers. They have ball rollers on the tips of the lifters...if that means anything. Any thoughts on the firing order?

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Is there a way to tell? I'm assuming that they're hydraulic but when the valves were on the base circle all of them were easily "spin-able" with my fingers. They have ball rollers on the tips of the lifters...if that means anything. Any thoughts on the firing order?
what are you calling the lifter ? the part where the adjusting nut is ?

small cam , liters can be adjusted at that cylinders TDC .

best find out what the f/order is readjust the valve train

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The pushrod that lifts the rockers:confused:. That seems O.K., I'm not too worried about adjustment as I am about the firing order and head I.D. I've been trying to I.D. the heads for the last half hour and the only marks I find are on the top of the head and are 8j19 and 8j17, any ideas?

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
The pushrod that lifts the rockers:confused:. That seems O.K., I'm not too worried about adjustment as I am about the firing order and head I.D. I've been trying to I.D. the heads for the last half hour and the only marks I find are on the top of the head and are 8j19 and 8j17, any ideas?
find the order pull the plugs . both V/C's off ,start at #1 tdc after the intake valve closed.

plug plug s/holes with tight pack paper towel strips (or what works)
rotate engine by a 15/16 socket . order will be by the pop out of paper plugs . bad valve adjustment can affect the pop . , but you don't care about adjustments ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts