Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question has been asked a million times. So what's 1 million and 1? My apologies.

I have a fairly stock 71 Torino:
351 2v
650 CFM Edelbrock Thunder Carb
Edelbrock RPM Air Gap Intake
Headers
Full Exhaust
27.74" tires

What I dont know:
I think its a FMX trans
I dont think its a 9 inch rear end, but maybe an 8.?
I cant physically look at the car as it is in the paint shop as we speak

What Im looking for is a light to light car. Im never going to take it to the track, but I am going to drive 5 to 8 min on the freeway to get to town anytime I do drive the car. By the way, only a weekend, summertime, nice weather driver. If it matters, high altitude.

Order of imortance is light to light get off (wake up this motor the easy way), hearing my passenger over the RPM's on the freeway, and protecting my motor from heavy RPM's and the wear and tear.

What gear ratio would you put in this car? 3.50? 3.73? 3.91? 4.11? Etc...Other?

Thank you all for your knowledge and help. Its greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
above gears would be a good pick .

note that with stock cam and valvetrain , you will reach max rpm quick .
valve float most likely will let you know .

forgot about your list of importance . # 1 on list , forget about the others . want the others , forget about #1

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I was going to say 3.70 so we're alll together on this one I think. As was said, too low and your highway driving is going to suck. With my 26" tires and a 3.50 gear I'm running around 3,000-3,500 RPM on the freeway doing 65 ish. With a stock type cam you're probably running of out steam at 4,500-5,000 RPM so you'll be up there for sure.

Check to see what gears you have now - I'm betting it's in the 3.00 range.

On the positive side it'll scoot from light to light!

John

·
Registered
104 Posts
RPM / Speed / Gear Ratio Visual Calc

The above is a pretty cool way to see what RPM at what speed with different gears/tires/tranny's...

Agree with Dan, you probably can't meet all your goals. Even a 3.70 (more than 3,200 RPM @ 70 MPH) and you'll be one of those guys going 50 in a 70 so that you can hear the radio.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts