Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
......just for the sake of argument, let's say "somebody" (wink, wink) was getting ready to invest a substantial amount of time and money to start developing a number of limited production fiberglass body panels and components for these cars/trucks. Even if this "someone" already had a list of items he were going to build, what would you guys like to see? Stock replacement? Stylized custom? Now's your chance to be heard.

Tryin' to keep a low profile with this for now, so feel free to drop me a line at my e-mail addy.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Thats a good idea Dutch, Im sure the owners of those years will speak up very soon. Ever thought of buying a 68/69 Fastback and making FULL 1/4's. I have new 1/4's for mine but they are 2 piece and go about 3/4in. above the belt line. Totally sucks, but it's coming along, slowly.

Rick

·
Registered
14 Posts
i've been waiting in anticipation to see your bumper get finished....but definately i would get fiberglass parts. Stock replacement except maybe for hoods

(btw i'm enegative from yahoo)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By late fall I hope to start putting together a portfolio of pieces available, those currently under development and those that I plan on getting around to. The fact that '72's, '73's and '74-'76 cars have subtle differences really adds to the complexity and scope of this, so it will be a "work in progress" for some time.
This year I'll be focusing on the bumper, a chin spoiler and getting started on a hood or two (knock wood). All will be the bolt-on variety.
Stay tuned guys, and hold on, this is gonna be a fun ride. More later.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Well, I just made the deal last night to buy a '73 Torino fastback. If nothing goes wrong, I should have it on Saturday. I say that merely to say I am not speaking from experience.

My first reaction is make a 72 front end kit for 73 and later models. They featured a 73 on this site a little while back that did it with junk yard parts. I love the 72 look, but I settled for a 73 because it was I could find / afford. I don't know how many others feel the same way.

After I have worked on mine for a while I am sure I can give you a more informed opinion.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a quick note to those concerned that I have the legal and financial end of things pretty well covered now and am getting ready to move along with this. I'll be offering parts in several grades and weights, from Premium Street weight to Racing Flyweight, in order to meet a variety of wants, needs and budgets.
Stay tuned........more to come!

Kevin

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a quick note to let you guys know that I haven't fallen off the face of the earth. Due to my wife's health, however, nearly all of my free time this spring and summer have been spent working all the OT I can get my hands on to make ends meet at home till she can return to work. As a matter of fact, this weekend was the first I've been able to spend time constructively in the shop
........and it felt great, because the bumper is really coming together! Although I'll not be able to get as far this year as I would have liked (and barring any other setbacks), the bumper pattern should be complete and the chin spoiler pattern should be well underway.
I've also managed to start accumulating a nice selection of clean factory sheetmetal to use as patterns. So far I've managed to collect a perfect '72 Sport hood, a '75 hood, trunk lid and a complete '75 header/headlight assembly. I still want to score a set of front inner fenders and a Ranchero tailgate.
Thanks for hanging in there, and I'll keep you posted.

Kevin

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hope your wifes health starts improving, and not just for the sake of me wanting body panels...
(thought that might make ya smile)

Good Luck
Dubz

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
hey, how about a glass front and rear bumper combo with a 3" cowl hood? I got my '73 ranchero down to 3,810 with 1/4 tank of gas,any ideas of what it would weigh with the glass parts? MAKE THE PARTS,WEEL BUY 'EM.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, my stock front bumper weighs 125 pounds, including mounts. The skin for the 'glass bumper I'm working on will weigh-in around 8-10 pounds, less mounting/re-inforcement. Depending on the application (street or race), it would be entirely possible to shave to shave between 40 and 100 pounds off the nose with the bumper alone. My stock '73 hood tips the scales at 60 pounds, or so. The bolt-on 'glass Sport-type hood I plan on building will weigh-in around 30 pounds, so there's another 30 pounds saved. A fly-weight pin-on race hood would be 15-18 pounds less than that. Although I haven't mentioned it in this thread, I WOULD like to get around to a Ranchero rear bumper. I have never weighed one, but based on it's size, I would imagine it would tip the scales in the same 8-10 pound range as the front bumper. All in all, getting your Ranchero down to the 3700 pound range would be entirely within reach.
Something I plan on pursuing for my '73 is a 'glass one-piece headlight/header assembly. That should be good for 25 pounds, and front inner fenders could shave another 15-20 pounds. Hope that helps.

Dubz......you-n-me both, brother!! LOL!! My wife ended up having back surgery back in April and it definitely threw us a curve. Anyway, she should be back to work in a few weeks and we can get on with our lives.

Kevin

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still pluggin' along guys! Barring unforseen circumstances (and God knows we've had our share of 'em this year) I should be ready to lay down the first coats of surfacer by the end of the month. After I get it blocked down and see where I'm at with it, I'll get some pics posted.
There have been a few minor adjustments and modifications made along the way to make it "flow" at little more smoothly, but unless you were closely looking at it daily, you probably wouldn't pick up on them. All I can say is that, in an age of CAD/CAM, digitizers and CNC's, I have a newfound respect for the men who used to work with clay mock-ups.
Still cruisin'.......

Kevin

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got a message on the ford site that you may be able to help.I am looking for a 86 t-bird fiberglass front bumper cover not cover and header panel in one just the cover. And a pro stock type wing.Sorry it was T-bird related.

Thanks Stangman66

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Heya Stangman! Unfortunately, at this time, I don't have the pattern (original part) or mold to build what you seek, however, the link below will take you to someone who may be able to help you. Apparently, "Rod-n-Race" has accumulated a number of molds from a variety of sources over the years, and if you check them out, you'll see a listing for your year 'Bird. What they have is a mold to lay-up a Pro-Stock style front end. If you contact them, they may be able/willing to do a partial lay-up for the piece you need. In the long run, it may be a far more cost effective approach for you, as pattern/mold building is a very tedious and time consuming process (read "expensive&quot
if you want a mold and finnished part that will last, look and fit right.
The link is:

http://www.rodnrace.com/

Best of luck,

Kevin Dohner

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Laid down the first coats of surfacer on the bumper yesterday and blocked them down today. It's just about there! Give me another week or so to shoot 'er up and block her down one more time and I'll get some fresh pics posted.......then it's off of the car and goes to the bench to jig it up to get it ready to lay-up the mold.

Kevin

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've got a 70 torino and would love to lighten my load. Any plan for the earlier years? There are a lot of us out there, and I'm sure we would all love to go FASTER

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My best advice for right now, and at least for the near future, would be to take a look at US Bodysource out of Florida, I'll post the link below. When you pull the page up, scroll down the menu on the left side till you find '70-'76 Fairlane. You'll find listings for a bolt-on hood and front fenders for the earlier models. They list lightweight pin-on stuff as well. I don't have any personal experience with them, so I can't tell you much about the quality of their products, but they've been around for a while. The only thing I CAN say is that, based on an earlier version of their website in which they used to show their methodology, I believe they lay-up many of their products with a chopper gun and back them up with bulker mats (Coremat), which tends to make for a heavier piece (higher resin content).

http://www.usbody.com/CarhoodsPop.htm

Good luck,

Kevin

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK guys, I've updated the Photo Album in my Yahoo Briefcase with some recent pics of the bumper pattern. They're a little darker than usual, but I plan on replacing them in a week or so with some that are more suitable...... you'll get the idea though. Follow the link below and see what you think.

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/dutchd58

Kevin Dohner

PS....havin' a ball and we're just gettin' started!!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just brought home some more sheetmetal last weekend and, although I haven't had much time since to make too many in-depth comparisons, it looks as if the '73 'glass bumper just may fit the '74-'76 nose/grill assembly without modification! The dropped center section I incorporated into the top surface is nearly a "dead nuts" match to the later grill, radiused contours and all. And if it's not, it isn't by much. Fact is, it's just SO close that it warrants making a few minor adjustments to the pattern in the spring, if necessary, before I lay-up the mold.
Still cruisin' along..........

Kevin "Dutch" Dohner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts