Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,
Here is my dilemma, my motor is a 351w stroked and should be somewhere around 500-600 hp. I have a c6 already with just a valve body and larger pan and it needs the front seal fixed. The truck used to be a 3 on the tree but for some reason I wanted the auto. Now that the time has come to put it all back together I am having second thoughts on keeping the c6.

I know the c6 will rob a good bit of hp, is there a manual tranny that I could put back in it that would take the hp. I think I actually have the original 3 spd. I would like to have a 4 or 5 sp especially with od. I would also have to do something with the clutch pedal and linkages. I am trying to decide before I have to go and buy a 4,000+ stall converter which isn't cheap and if I can do a manual for the same price as the torque converter then I may go that route.

I do like autos and I love the way they drive and shift with a stall and manual valve body. I had even had thoughts of switching to an aod but the budget just isn't going to work for that right now. Am I better off using the c6 and getting the converter and be able to sell the stuff for a decent price later if I change my mind?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Probably the best trans would be a a top loader ford 4 speed with the hd input and output shafts. These were found on the cars equipped with the 428cj or scj engines. The top loader as a 4 speed hasn't been produced since the 1973 model year, and the hd model since 1971. They also backed the 429cj and scj in '70 and '71. They're getting hard to find and will be expensive, but will stand up to the hp. The only other alternative would be a Doug Nash trans. which also carries a big price tag. Someone else may know of other heavy duty transmissions that will work for less money.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
How about David Kee's toploaders? You can get a brand new unit from him built to your specs. Hope you have a thick wallet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts