Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 72 mach 1 about a week ago, and have had some problems with it. It is a 351C with a 4 barrel Holley carb.
The first problem arose when trying to get the car home, because it kept breaking down on the side of the road while driving. I got it towed home and found that it wouldn't start. Changed the fuel pump from an manual to an electric Holley, and checked for a spark (there was one, but it was
small. I continued to have the same problems, so I checked the fuel filter, and the fuel was a very brown red rusted color. Changed the fuel filter and checked it again today to find that it was still the same brown rusted color, and now it won't start. It sounds like it's not getting any fuel, so could it be a carb problem? Also, should I look into replacing my gas tank and gas lines? Should I replace the coil? What other problems could it be? Any help is great, thank you.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I think I'd start with getting all the old fuel out. There is no point in putting in new filters, pumps and cleaning the carb if you're going to run dirty, crappy fuel through it. Flush out the fuel tank, or replace it, and get fresh fuel to the engine, and clean the carb as well. It is hard to know if the ignition is weak if the fuel is bad and has lost most of it's volatility. However, new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, condenser, coil, etc., are all basic tune up components and would be part of any basic work to get an old car on the road.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts