Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all i got a 460 thats been bored 060 over. i have A questions, 1. i've got stock heads, hooker super competition hedders, holley 750 dbl. pumper, comp cams #34-330-4, edelbrock performer intake, "heavy-duty" pistons, i've been told it is 9 to 1 compression ratio, etc...question, ive read other posts and it seems that nothing i put on it will matter unless the heads are aftermarket. is that true? will it not have much power? a thrown in 302 with a c-4 was pulled out of it, i just hope it'll yank my head back when i hit the throttle! i've got a tru trac rearend with 3.50 gear, the guy at the speed shop said, "if you put anything higher in it ,it would just spin..". i wanted to get 410 gears, but SOMEHOW was talked out of it! hahaha

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
I'm sure you'll be able to find all this over at 406ford.com, but as far as your heads go, theyre not that bad. As long as you dont have D2VE heads (1972 heads-to early 73) the BBF heads are really ok. The huge thing is their poor exhaust to intake ratio. This is where ford 460 comes in, as there is a guy over there who specializes in porting heads. They make huge power with factory heads for under 1000 bucks (free if you wanna do it yourself). You already have hedders, so thats a big leap there...Hell even carcraft managed to make 430 hp and about 500 lb-ft on a stock longblock!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool!i think my 72 torino would scoot pretty quick with430 hp. how do you tell if theyre D2VE heads? numbers? looks? thanks for the reply. much appreciated! torinotroy

·
Registered
6 Posts
make sure it has a timing chain and gear that are straight up.72 AND UP THEY RETARDED THE TIMING.MY DAD TOLD ME A LONG TIME AGO TO BY A CHAIN FOR 70 BOSS 429 THAT WAY IT FIRES AT TOP DEAD CENTER.iF YOU PUT A ROLLER TIMING CHAIN ON IT IT HAS DIFFERENT KEY SLOTS FOR ACHIEVING THIS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts