Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holly sweet Jesus what recession? Did you see what that 72 Torino ram air set up went for on eBay over $4000 I guess with only a handful out there it's worth it . Again I suppose that would double the price of the car at auction . It really does make the car !!!

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Ridiculous stuff like that is usually a market investor. You have a guy with 3 of them, and he will buy at a crazy price to set the market for a few weeks, then sell all 4 during the hype and triple his money. Happens a lot in the fringe performance market (Hemi, Shelby, COPO types, etc.). The regular market will re-stabilize at $1000-1500 in a couple months, and they will do it with something else next. It's a scheme that took hold when the Worthington brothers pushed the scheme big-time in the '70s.

I saw a Torino setup at Portland this last spring asking $950 - complete. It was still there when I left, marked-down. Don't forget, if you just want looks, a repro is half that, and even a repro can raise an original car value by 50%. Buying at $4000 is stupid from a financial aspect.

David

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont think 4k for the 72 ram air is crazy with 31 bids i guess theres a few hard core torino fans out there the last one on ebay went for $3100 plus they want $1000 for a repro. and the more i learn about them its really rare item only sold in 1972 for a couple months and only 70 produced which means theres probably less then half left I've been to a zillion auctions/car shows including mecum/barrett jackson and never seen one if it was in my budget I would pay top dollar to!!

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Don't allow the naysayers to sway you. Both you and I realize why the assemblies go for so much.

Now I know most here won't believe this (and I have most of those blocked thankfully), a few years ago, a 1958 LINC SUPER MARAUDER AIR CLEANER (unique from MERC) went off @ $10,000.00.

It is a simple formula of want/need, supply and demand.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
There are more Torino assemblies out there than you'd think. The Ford service supply had them spewing out everywhere, and when Mustang and Cougar assemblies were running short, Torino versions were often modified to work (the height is different). I've bought and sold a few of them, and have seen them recently for a lot less than what the frenzy is indicating. If you do a search of FeeBay history, you'll find they did a sudden skyrocket just like I said they do. And, a Marauder air filter assembly is apples and oranges to a RA. Whatever, sell one if ya got it or buy one if you want to ride the hype, but you can't deny the very odd price swing. If you are interested in buying at that level, I'd be happy to source one for you. Really happy.
;)
David

BTW - I'll throw this in just for perspective. There's a guy I know (and many of you know who I'm talking about) that has been buying dealer closeouts and production over-runs since the early '60s. He has three huge warehouses of factory performance parts - only performance. I was privileged to have toured just one of his east-coast warehouses, but it would make your jaw drop. And, you'll never forget the smell. Rack after rack of spoilers, hood scoops, wooden cases full of NOS '60s carbs, dual-point distributors and rev limiters, rooms packed with cases of emblems, dozens of complete 427 SOHC engines and enough parts to build 20 more, dozens of BOSS 302 and 429 blocks and engines, hundreds of Equa-Lok and Trac-Loc diffs, stacks of crates the size of my house of just Toploaders and parts for them, and on and on. He had at least a dozen or two full RA setups for every version and model - meaning literally hundreds of RA setups and a gazillion spare parts. He's one who sold me (well, traded) a couple of the Torino 429 RA setups from a pile of them (actually neatly stacked in those huge steel Costco/Depot racks) along with a ton of other stuff. Millions of dollars worth of stuff in every direction you could look. He is on FeeBay for fun (hey, he's filthy rich), with a huge rating, and often has a quarter million in "rare" original parts for bid at any one time. See if you can find him. And yes, he pulls the stunt I described earlier as part of his 'fun', in-spite of being one of the most honest men I know, and great to talk to if he's had his meds... LOL While some Ford stuff really is rare, most of the performance era stuff really isn't yet. Not for quite a long while. The market will take an unbelievable dive when he finally kicks the bucket and it all floods the market at once. Live long and prosper, Rick. ;)

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
OK, since this thread is so far off-track already, I'll tell you one of the stories he told me just for example. Remember when Performance Auto had ready-to-build new 5.0L roller blocks for only $200 a few years back? Such a deal! Well, Rick was doing his thing, buying excess by the boatload from Ford, and grabbed several hundred of these blocks for chump change. The only other bidders were scrap metal brokers, so he just out-bid them by a few cents a block. Cool.

The last of the 5.0L was supposed to be 1995's Mustang HO and Cobra. A great investment for something like $37 a block. Then the 5.0 was extended for the Explorer. Damn. Time to unload some of them. So, he sells 6 semi's of blocks (about 300) to PA for $100 each, and they double their money at $200 just to move them quickly, while we all think it's a steal. Yeah, he chuckled about that one. Even though he was stuck with crates of scrap metal, he got us to buy it all for a small profit instead of a loss - and we're tickled about it. LOL And yes, he still kept a bunch of them for the future, just like he's been doing for 50 years.

David

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
:confused:

Damn you like to ramble. How is that left handed cigarette taste?

only sold in 1972 for a couple months and only 70 produced
Most realize the RamAir(s) were built of common and slightly differing components for fitting differing applications. It is not rocket science. You are not the only wise man on the mountain.

What is being said here is that the particular assembly released for assembly for the 1972 TORINO was unique and has value to certain individuals who desire a correct restoration with no mix/match or repro parts.

What is so damn hard to fathom about that?

If the unit was not in demand, not so many would have bid on it and one have the necessary duckets to actually purchase it... :frown:

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
If the unit was not in demand, not so many would have bid on it and one have the necessary duckets to actually purchase it... :frown:
LOL, alright, if it makes you feel better. But take a look at the bidding. Remember what I said about pushing the price? Just one bidder took it from $2250, bidding every few seconds, all the way to the sale price at $4250. One guy. Eight bids. No automatic bids and no counter bids. It's called shill bidding to increase the price. 2 grand in a matter of minutes for no purpose (no counter bids). Whatcha suppose that's about? Not rocket science.

David

The bidding by a total of 9 bidders ended at half the final price... uh huh:

·
Registered
809 Posts
LOL, alright, if it makes you feel better. But take a look at the bidding. Remember what I said about pushing the price? Just one bidder took it from $2250, bidding every few seconds, all the way to the sale price at $4250. One guy. Eight bids. No automatic bids and no counter bids. It's called shill bidding to increase the price. 2 grand in a matter of minutes for no purpose (no counter bids). Whatcha suppose that's about? Not rocket science.

David

The bidding by a total of 9 bidders ended at half the final price... uh huh:
There had to be automatic bids. Look at the time of bids.
S...O's bid was at 13:39:34PDT. The 7 bids from O...O were all after S...O's bid.

Looks like S...O bidded 2,000 more than B...N (previous high bidder) with about a min left to make sure he got it. Then O...O was trying to outbid him. And came close lol.

I think you now have to click a link to see the automatic bids.

Rare stuff brings money on EBay, just the way it is. It is not a cheap hobby.

Lou

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
There had to be automatic bids. Look at the time of bids.
S...O's bid was at 13:39:34PDT. The 7 bids from O...O were all after S...O's bid.

Looks like S...O bidded 2,000 more than B...N (previous high bidder) with about a min left to make sure he got it. Then O...O was trying to outbid him. And came close lol.

I think you now have to click a link to see the automatic bids.

Rare stuff brings money on EBay, just the way it is. It is not a cheap hobby.

Lou
Please...please... :frown:

Do not try and make sense of what has been posted here, it simply won't sink in on most. I think David has been sniffing old coffee grounds at his favorite Beatnik coffee house.

snap...snap...snap...

·
Registered
809 Posts
Please...please... :frown:

Do not try and make sense of what has been posted here, it simply won't sink in on most. I think David has been sniffing old coffee grounds at his favorite Beatnik coffee house.

snap...snap...snap...
Seriously?????

I have no problem making sense of David's post. I agree with David on a few of his points, way too much money for a item that is reproduced, people play games/ bid up items for higher prices on eBay, and prices do come back down. I just think this item went to someone with deep pockets that HAD to have it.

I too have seen bidding like what David posted and thought the same thing before. Then looked at the times the bid's were posted and was a little confused. Then realized if you want to see all the automatic bids you have to click on a separate link. Seem to recall eBay use to show all the bids without clicking on link but may have been awhile ago. Was just letting him know about the Link.

David has helped me many time on this forum with my build, as others have. I myself feel he is a asset to the board.

I would also like to thank you for your recent effort to get a thread started for Fords with other brand drive trains/parts.
That would be cool. After my Comet is done my fiancé wants me to build her something and I was thinking of building her a early(round body) 2dr hardtop wagon with a 4G63T, and a thread for fords with other than ford engine/drivetrain in them would really be sweet!!!!
Give me a place to post it and I'm pretty sure David/PSIG would still give me advice.
Thanks again
Lou

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All I know is I wish I had seen it for sale on eBay I've been looking for one for years ever since I found out they were made so if there's so many out there please call me when you find one I will pay 4k for a complete original set up I'll sell my motorcycle in a heartbeat to make my Torino a real show car !!! And a cool piece of history Thanks cell 239-281-1462

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
All I know is I wish I had seen it for sale on eBay I've been looking for one for years ever since I found out they were made so if there's so many out there please call me when you find one I will pay 4k for a complete original set up I'll sell my motorcycle in a heartbeat to make my Torino a real show car !!! And a cool piece of history Thanks cell 239-281-1462
That's a shame. It was discussed here before the seller listed it on EvilBay. He was looking to sell it outright and I suggested he contact Perogie for a current value. It was then decided that it go to public auction.

And your desire to have a points correct car is not appreciated here. You either buy a Trans-Am Ram-Air or piece one together from at the minimum ten assembly deviations take-off parts.

J.C Whitney should be offering one soon if they are monitoring this board.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i have no idea what you mean ? what does a trans am have to due with a 72 torino and whats wrong with a points correct car i thought thats what these forums and ford sites were for sorry I'll keep my thoughts to myself next time

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
i have no idea what you mean ? what does a trans am have to due with a 72 torino and whats wrong with a points correct car i thought thats what these forums and ford sites were for sorry I'll keep my thoughts to myself next time
:confused:

I think you mis-read my post.

I was being facetious with the USUAL SUSPECTS here.

The forum here seems to have moved away from true FORD discussion.

Sorry I caused any confusion...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sorry I'm not used to a real sense of humor now I get it, that is funny your right I dont think most people understand how rare the REAL factory ram air units are the base ,top plate, seal are all unique to the 72 only there are no mix matching with other models and like I said anyone wants to sell one I'll pay $4,ooo take care

1 - 16 of 16 Posts