Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how the heck do you get rust outta the cowl?!?!?!?! it's driving me crazy, have cut my forearm trying to get sandpaper up in there, but i can't get enough "oomph" to knock a dent in the rust!
i have a spray can of "RUST FIX". It turns rust into black primer. But this stuff is all up in there!
and i don't wanna miss any of it! ideas anyone???? I really don't wanna half-a** this car, as i've had it for 10 years and am just getting around to fixing it up.thanks for any replys, torinotroy

·
Registered
112 Posts
There is a water dam on both sides to prevent water entering the air intake vents. They rot out and water runs down soaking the carpet and rusting out the floor pans.You will have to remove the air intake ducts from inside the dash board to see if the rust has eaten it out.Also pull back the front part of the carpet to see if rust started on the floor if not you caught it in time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Holy cow! And I thought the previous owner just left the windows down! Because there was rust under the carpet. I removed all the air conditioning and gave it away but didnt see any rust. Guess I'll need to get flashlight under there and check it out
Thanks for tellin me that guy
I'd have been in some trouble thinkin I had it all and stepped on the brakes one day and been like "fred flintstone" mobile!
Thanks again, torinotroy. P.S. you got some cool cars man, was just curious what made an interceptor? Is it the heads? cam? or a combo of several things?
Have a good day, torinotroy.

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Do you mean the 429PI? They did have different heads. They actually were a better head then the CJ was. Other then the head and carb they were a 429CJ. The real problem for them was they were in a heavier car and less aerodynamic then the Torinos and Stangs. I had a 71 Torino Cobra 429CJ and the local UHP had a 71 429PI. Wasn't ever an even match up. On more then one occasion.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HAHAHAHAH
My uncle Vance has cool stories of runnin. I KNOW I never would though. They go through too much these days and are WAY under paid. Ever hear of a 460 interceptor? I thought interceptors were 460's? In one of my restoration mags. they have a decal for an air cleaner that says "460 police interceptor". Maybe they too were just heads and carbs. huh? Probably no way of obtaining these heads?
Why the heck did Ford make so much cool stuff and then just stop?????!!!!!thanks guy, torinotroy

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had four 429 cj and a 429scj.They are great engines.The 72 to 74 interceptor engines had a different head and cam. In 75 to 78 the 460 interceptor were regular 460 with and oil cooler and dual exhuast.I had a 74 2 door torino with 460PI engineand package.Stock it ran 15.10 to 15.50 in the 1/4 mile this car weighed in at 4500LBS.It had 3.25 gears it went better than 126 miles at top speed .Unfortantly it was a rust bucket.The good news when I did scrap it I kept every thing I could put in another torino .Which is my latest project .When it is done I will post up photos.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
awesome cant wait to see! So the 460 interceptors were terd engines. that stinks. probably all that smog junk! thanx torinotroy

·
Registered
112 Posts
Not really.The 73 to 74 460pi were almost a detuned cj engine.The 75 and up were more family car engines.A 460pi is 1 second faster than the regular 460.In a big car and on a budget they are a good start.Ford in 1984 was selling them in the SVO catalog.The current 460 in the svo catalog is not much different only the pistons and cam is different and add the new SCJ heads and intake they say it produces 500 horsepower.If you run in the early blocks or the 4 bolt main block, they have more nickel in it and is a harder casting.The trick with a 429 and 460 is run them at 160 to 180F. Hotter than that they do not like the heat.The 1974 ford 460pi had 275 horsepower and 395 pounds of torque SAE rated.The 429cj was 370 gross .In SAE it was 290 to 310 horsepower.The trick is to have a good set up that works.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool, I posted the stuff I have and a few people said it was decent.
I bought an aftermarket aluminum radiator, and was planning on running an oil cooler. The guys I work with say it'll run hot because it's bored over 60.
My heads are stock though
I definetly need to replace them. Also need to find a shop to thermal clean and coat with VHT my hedders. Also someone recommended a 195degree thermostat. Think that'll keep it cool? Thank you, torinotroy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts