Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So awhile back i had to slam on the brakes to avoid being demolished at by a red light runner. the car died. i finally got it started and ever since then it has sounded like im losing a cylinder at times. sometimes it runs good. other times it wont stay running for more than 10 minutes before idling down and just dying. the car has a new intake, carb, spark plugs, and fuel pump. ive adjusted the carb several times to lean it out, and make it richer. neither have solved the issue. My dad says to replace the ignition system on it. As he believes the spark is weak.

any help will be greatly appriciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Does it have an in line fuel filter? If so check it out. The sudden stop could have worked up some rust in the tank and that could be cutting your fuel out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
changed the fuel filter and have re-adjusted the timing. its at 28 degrees btdc. which is where it was before i had the issue. and it does it randomly. sometimes itll start out with a smooth idle and then start acting up and other times itll start and then die within 5 minutes of running...

·
Registered
346 Posts
So if you let it idle will it die on its own?
Does it cut out cold, or stumble down and die like it's running out of fuel?
What happens if you have a good load on the engine- like running up a hill, or power braking? How many miles are on the engine?

My car was doing the same kind of stuff, running rich and cutting out. It turned out to be a bad voltage regulator. That stopped the stalling problem..

The completely stretched timing chain was a big contributor too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So if you let it idle will it die on its own?
Does it cut out cold, or stumble down and die like it's running out of fuel?
What happens if you have a good load on the engine- like running up a hill, or power braking? How many miles are on the engine?

My car was doing the same kind of stuff, running rich and cutting out. It turned out to be a bad voltage regulator. That stopped the stalling problem..

The completely stretched timing chain was a big contributor too.
if i let it idle, it will sometimes die and sometimes it wont. going up or down a hil it acts up almost like the fuel is cutting out. but then if i hit the gas and rev it up it goes away for a while sometimes. other times itll idle just fine for like 20 min. then ill drive it and itll run smooth and ill pull it in the drive way and itll start idling down. the car is all original minus the new parts ive installed. car has 52,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
can you install a temporary fuel pressure gauge at the carb inlet?

when it's running good at idle look at the idle pressure then when it is about ready to stall look at it again.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Have you checked to see if you have gas in the carb after it dies out? Do you have a clear inline filter where you can see if the fuel is making it to the carb when you are having issues?

Could be an issue with the fuel pump eccentric on the front of the cam. I had similar issues when the indexing tab was sheared off and it would spin only sometimes catching to pump some fuel.

Good luck!
Paul

1969 R-Code, 4-Speed, Drag-Pack Cobra Fastback Project
1967 Mercury Commuter Wagon w/mild 429

My Car Restoration Projects

1 - 8 of 8 Posts