Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am going to put an old 4 barrel cast intake and 4v motorcraft carb on. the heads will be milled .20 thousands.the pistons are .30 over flat tops. the usual rebuild procedure. wanting to keep close original as possible.will this work good?

·
Registered
802 Posts
A old 4V cast iron intake?

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
did the 400 come with a cast 4barrel manifold from the factory,i thought they were all 2barrel

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[No message]

·
Registered
813 Posts
There was indeed a 4V cast iron intake for the 400 engine.
They are extremely rare, and I believe they only came on 400's that were assigned to police cars.
A few may have slipped thru the cracks over the years though.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
holy hell...if they're THAT rare, I had better go get that engine at the scrap metal recycler. It's got an iron 4V manifold on it and yes, it's a 400. It even is machined for the small block bell, kind of inside the larger bell pattern. It's not drilled/tapped, but the bosses and mounting flange is definetely there.

·
Registered
802 Posts
You better get both, and fast. An iron 4V 400 intake is so rare, only one has surfaced and it carried an XE part number, it was not a production manifold. The block you described is also rare, referred to as an FMX block and sometimes sell for $500.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If that's the case, it would be a real rare combo. On the FMX block, the small block pattern should be drilled and tapped; the big block pattern should be undrilled - at least the ones I've seen have been that way.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you better get them fast. the one i was after was just a 2v. the fella didn,t look close enough. i,m still hunting.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Has anyone checked one of these FMX blocks with a BBF pattern template? I have a bad feeling that a couple of the bolt holes or dowels overlap just enough to make drilling/tapping for both bolt patterns improbable.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Jesus, Mary and Joeseph! (And I'm a Protestant...!)

Measure across the intake and make sure it is a dead match, but I'll bet he has a 460 and thinks it is a 400.

I saw an XE Aluminum 400 4V intake at the '79 Dearborn V8 club meet in a pile of stuff from a guy who would dumpster dive at the Engine Lab, didn't have the cash and hadda let it go ([email protected]#$#@[email protected]#) along with the 368 Merc 2X4 rig and the 430/400 Super Maruauder intake less AC and fuel pump (@#$%[email protected]#)

The 400 4V was listed in a few publications in '72, and even in the '72 Ranchero catalog, but no production engines ever surfaced, to this very day.

It would be cool if someone did some checking in old Ford Power Products listings for Marine/Industrial V8s to see if anything turns up in there.

Shame of it is, that engine would have a totally different reputation with all the stuff that made the 351 so "peaky"...

Before you lay any money down, measure across the intake face and make sure it matches your current intake, a 351C does appear at first glance to be similar, or the engine the guy has might have an aftermarket intake on it already (very possible considering what a cork in the bottle the stocker is)

Good luck!

·
Registered
81 Posts
So far I've only seen the one 400 iron 4V intake show up from a guy in Nebraska. Sold on e-bay about 6 months ago and was heavily documented on the Cleveland forum. It was legit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts