Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an 83 f150 with a 429 from a 73 Galaxie. It lost oil pressure and Ihave done the flush and then got a manual pressure guage to determine if it was getting any pressure and it was zilch. I was told that I need to look at the pick up tube but I am unsure if I can get the pan off without pulling the engine. I really need to get this running as it is my daily driver. Does anyone have any suggestions on the easiest and quickest way to get this truck back on the road? Also is there any suggestions at what else I may look at?

Thanks
Bryce

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I would pull the distributor and see if the oil pump driveshaft is in place..If it is there try driving it counterclockwise with a drill and see if you get pressure..If not you will have to pull the pan and see whats going on..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did pull the distributor and tested the pump and still got no pressure. They said the next step was to pull the pan and see if the pick-up tube is clogged, but when I crawled under there, it does not look like the pan will come out, even if I jack the engine up. It is snowing now and I can't do it this week, but I needed to find out if anyone had suggestions on this next step. Am I going to have to pull the engine, or is there a trick to getting the pan off?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I think at a bare minimum you will have to jack up the motor to pull the pan..I can't imagine how the pickup would be clogged unless you have some pretty serious issues going on inside(severe sludge or broken parts)..Was the engine run with no oil pressure?..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It ran for a very short time without pressure, like across the street to a parking lot. I have only had the truck for a few weeks and the reason they were thinking that the tube is clogged is because I told them I had no idea when the oil was changed, since I only had 100 miles on it since I bought it.

I would almost rather just get another engine, 351 or 302 and replace it and then rebuild the 429, but at this time I am not sure what that would cost.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Being its a 73 motor in a 83 truck means the oil pan must have been replaced with a rear sump pan so maybe the pick up tube was not installed correctly and came off.

·
Registered
29 Posts
As a daily driver fuel is a big factor. But If you suspect engine damage, I would look for a 460, around here they are easy to find. I've seen several under $1000.00 It would be a bolt in replacement for the 429. If you go for a different series of engine such as a 302 the little stuff will add up quick. And push the frustration level a bit more than you might need to get your daily driver back on the road in the middle of the winter.
Best of luck,

Bruce

1 - 7 of 7 Posts