Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an original 4 speed 1973 Cobra Jet Ranchero 500, that at some point in the past, someone swapped out the toploader and installed a C4. After searching for a year I actually found the correct RUG BG2 on Craigs list Ohio. A miracle of sorts! I now Have the tranny, the correct bell and block saver, also the correct factory hurst shifter, rods and mounting plate. What I can't seem to find is the information on which is the correct clutch fork for a 1 1/6 input shaft toploader for 1973. One last thing, I found a z-bar purported to be from a 72 Torino/Ranchero and it came with the pivots and a rod, but it's been altered some... Is there anyone with the correct z-bar for a 72/73 tonino who could do some measuring for me so I can put this one back stock? Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
but it's been altered some... Is there anyone with the correct z-bar for a 72/73 tonino who could do some measuring for me so I can put this one back stock? Thanks in advance for any help!
First Welcome to site,
second a picture of the alterations would help, as not knowing the alteration you maybe setting yourself up with problems they corrected. IE: if it started flexing/bending they may have beefed it to keep it from continuing or happening again, and if its had lots of heat applied by being welded on it will actually bend easier than it did the first time.

M2C.

But I am sure someone can give you what you are wanting. Even without getting a pic of what you have and getting opinions on it.
HTH

Welcome again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any measurements will be a big help... I just found some photos online of another 72-73 Torino Z-bar (after an extended search) and it looks to be either a close match or maybe identical (other than the alterations) I have pics of my z-bar, but I've never posted http pics before and I'm clueless as to how to do that. I believe my z-bar is salvagable, it looks to have been in use as altered and appears to have been altered LONG ago. In any case, as a diesel mechanic with welding skills, if I need to do some alterations and strengthening, as long as the angles and measurements are right, I'll be happy. So far I'm in it for $89 and the z-bar came with good pivots on both sides AND the pedal rod.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! As the survivor of emergency back surgery, having made a near miraculous 100% recovery (1 in 20 chance of that occurring) I think it's pretty cute too!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
The fork for the small T/L will be the same as one for the torino. Am uncertain if they are different from the 71-73 Stangs, but ya might give those a look see also. I know that there are some diferences going from big cars (Galalxies etc to the smaller cars.) So dont know what the difference MIGHT be between the torino/ranchero - Mustang. Its worth a look see I would think. and the same on the z-bar measurements you are needing...... I am really surprised someone hasnt posted them or answered your first post by now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took some measurements of my z-bar today, at least the angle of the levers on it... the angle is equal to the exact angle if one lever is precisely at the six on a clock, the other is exactly on the one (or 150 degree angle).

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I will research it tomorrow night. If you don't see my post, remind me as I have advanced CRS... :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was aware of the Torino/Ranchero forks being the same, the 'stang is different but at this point with the dollar values I've seen placed on some of these clutch parts (especially a cheap stamped piece of steel that used to be a throw away item) I will take what will work as opposed to the EXACT fork it calls for. I'm not certain of the geometry at this point though, most forks look totally different, shorter, longer, different bends. I've done pretty well so far getting all the parts I need, but there's still a few more bits to go.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mustang Z-bars are amazingly different to Torino Ranchero bars, I would imagine it has everything to do with space limitations on the 'stangs but it was surprizing to me how much different they are. I guess I'm SOL on those measurements...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts