Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

74-78 mustang II NEW gas tanks

30K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  5851a 
#1 ·
new gas tanks for the mustang II have arrived e-bay 270611457944 has a shop number & e-mail

#2 ·
Too bad it's only the 13 gallon tank... I'd love a new 20 gallon tank... the 13 gallons were twice as likely to rust on the upper side of the hump... And for 380 big ones plus shipping I think I would rather cut my own leg off... Good find though regardless...

#3 ·
If you would read the note I left you in your wanted ad you wouldn't make un-informed comments like that... MUSTANG II's only ever had a 13 gallon main tank. EVER! tThere was NEVER a 20 gallon tank or even the option of a 20 gallon tank. The 16.5 gallon tank that was standard on the V8 cars and optional on the others was a 3.5 gal. tank that was fitted in the drivers rear quarter panel that replaced the standard filler tube. You will NEVER find a 20 gal. Mustang II gas tank.. But you are welcome to keep looking.

Tim

#4 ·
My knowledge of the so called 20 gallon tanks was from my Mustang II guy at my local Auto Zone, he told me that his Cobra II has a 20 gallon tank. The guy that I get my transmissions from also told me that his Cobra II came with a 20 gallon tank when he got his, and he derbys them. Why would I suspect these people of lying? Maybe the Pinto or Bobcat had a 20 gallon tank and it was put on the Cobra IIs years ago, I do not know. I wasn't alive during the time these came out and EVERY day I learn something NEW about my car. I am only going off of what people tell me, just like what' you're telling me now. News to me man, don't get so aggresive man... we're all here to learn and share our collective knowledge. My bad for making a mistake. I'll be sure to check with you before I post any un-informed comments in the future, okay?

#5 ·
Listen I'm NOT getting aggressive. Yet. :) I was trying to help you and make a point, If you continue to look for something that never was it's going to be very discouraging when you never find it. Here is a link to a Dedicated Mustang II website. http://www.mustangii.net/ the forums there are full of VERY dedicated Mustang II followers. Also on the site in the tech area is a listing the MVMA (Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Association) listed manufactures specifications. For the Mustang 75 Mustang II, http://www.mustangii.net/1975/75_mvma_11.asp the other years are the same except for that the tank in late 77 and later has a slightly different shape. Here is another source for the tanks as well a little cheaper http://www.sscenterprises.net/.
If I come across as an, ass so be it. There are more than enough misgivings and misinformation about these cars around without people looking for things that never were, i.e.; the 74 Mexican V8 cars or the Mexican 351 equipped Mustang II's, the factory 4bbl cars that never were. And all kinds of other stuff I have heard over the years. You have to make a choice on what you hear whether it is the truth or bunk. I have owned my II for almost 20 years and I have turned every nut bolt and screw on the car. I won't knowingly steer you wrong and I won't answer a question unless I feel I know the correct answer. You can take the info I give you and use it or you can tell me to piss up a rope. Your choice you won't hurt my feelings. I have a thicker skin... (I've owned a II Long enough not to give a crap about all the BS people say about it.) :p

Tim

#6 ·
Sorry, my bad. I am quick to get angry when it comes to Mustang IIs! I am just so used to having to defend my car... I'm sure you can relate to how many people accidently confuse it for a ......... pinto............. :(

Those websites you gave me are incredible, and I welcome any future corrections of error on my part. I'm still a young buck. :D

Someone told me that a 1988 Mercury 20 gallon gas tank would fit on a Mustang II Cobra with dual exhaust, you heard anything about that? I'm just trying to find a 20 gallon tank to fit on my MPG. I welcome the added weight in the back.

#7 ·
Something tells me I've heard of someone transplanting a Fox body tank into a II (not a bolt in but some welding and such was required). But I don't remember where or when I heard about it. What for engine/transmission combo are you looking at that you want or need a 20 gallon tank? Just wondering. I have a 351w and now with the AOD I get around 18mpg so that's almost 300 miles with the 16.5 gallon tank. The wife and I did a 2000 Mile round trip in the car last year and honestly that was about as far as I would want to go without getting up and stretching a little. :)

Tim

#9 ·
so you have a 351w in a II did you put a Granada front end on?
still have my 78 2+2 Ralleye original owner one of the first 78's to come out it has a 77 title
as soon as i am done with my cobra build this one is back on the street
and yep i believe it has a 13.2 gallon tank thats rusted

#11 ·
It's fun looking back at these posts and how far we have come on our knowledge of these cars since these posts were written.
Anyone still in here and active on the fb II groups?
Lol, I am restoring 75 Highboy with heavy modified 390FE. I have the in cab gas tank and was looking to stick a modded tank in the rear hence why I am at a Mustang II thread. So, yes, to answer your question. I am no longer on FB, but have MeWe. Just look under same name. I am in the Ford Broncos and truck group. Take care good to see someone else in 2021.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.