Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had a problem with my car idling to low when in gear so today I stuck a 750 edelbrock carb on just to see the dif between it and the 6oo I have been running.I know its probably too big for a 352 but I was to the point of trying anything. I believe it is much better. I couldnt drive today because its raining here but well see . It cant get much worse gas mileage as I was only getting 8 or 9 mpg with the 600

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
750 isn't that big for a 352.

Though in my limited experience I've seen a lot of cars respond well to a carbuerator most consider to be "too big"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: thekingofazle on 7/6/06 9:09pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
3,954 Posts
If you read Vizard's stuff, he says there is no such thing as too big of a carb. Might be a bit misleading, but if if you have the signal required (which you probably have a better signal with a mild 352 than a built 460 would have) then you are good to go, run it

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tried it out today and was pretty happy with the results. Plenty of power when getting on it and a decent idle . It has a surge at cruising about 45 to 50 mph. and I need to transfer the electric choke over to the 750 but I will try to fine tune it and run it awhile and see what happens

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I bet thats a lean surge - a bigger carb will get less signal than a small one, requiring more jet to deliver the same amount of fuel.

Carbs act on the premise of restricting airflow. Like My427 said, if you can get a bigger one to meter fuel effectively, you can go as big as you want. Essentially thats all EFI is - a no-restriction carb (throttle body) and jets that meter at any vaccuum signal. (injectors) That's part of the reason fuel injection can give you a little bit more horsepower up top - because you're not restricting the intake in order to suck fuel out of a venturi.

Vizard has some great articles on carbs. There is no "formula" for carb sizing - if there was, it would be based entirely on engine vaccuum and air-speed parameters across the whole of an engines operating range.

It just happens that many engines are designed similarly enough that a "rule of thumb" formula has evolved that can get a carb close enough to work decently.

The world rarely follows formulas. The best ones can get pretty close, but there is no substitue for chaos - nothing happens exactly the same way twice.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I got the choke installed and drove around a little more . Still a little lean at part throttle so I plan on getting a calabration kit ordered soon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts