Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '77 Ford F100 with 302 with a 3/4 cam, holley carb, headers, and C4 trans combination. The truck runs and sounds extremely strong, but my issue is from time to time, I pull a car trailer on the back. I think I want to find a little stronger motor to pull the trailer with. I've been told to go with a 460, but I dont want all that extra weight. I'm considering three options. Getting a 302 stroked out, trying to find a 351, and I was told by a friend I should be able to find a 331 out of an early '90's F-150. Any advice? And will the 351 or 331 bolt up and work with the C4 transmission and drive shaft?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I would recomend a warmed over 400. Kinda of the best of both worlds, in that is is the middle ground between the Windso weries and the 429/460.

The best part is its a factory engine so everything will transfer in perfectly. The best bet would be with a parts truck.

·
Registered
189 Posts
a 351-w will bolt to your transmission with no problems, a 351-m or 400, 429-460 will need the transmission that came with it. a 390 will bolt in that 77 with no problems, and then you could use a c-6 tranny, lots of horse power and gas comsumtion between it and a 351 would be about the same.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, so I can bolt a 400 straight in to the C4 and not have to make any changes? How much power will I be losing by going with the C4 vs. the C6?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure. I was told that there was a 3/4 racing cam in it. I am Active Duty military in Iraq. I just took my two weeks R&R back in the states and bought the truck while I was there, so I'm not able right now to find out exactly what's in the truck. I'm just doing some research now so I will know what direction I'm headed when I get back and start working on it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Okay, so I can bolt a 400 straight in to the C4 and not have to make any changes? How much power will I be losing by going with the C4 vs. the C6?

You could find a 460 bellhousing for the C4 and possibly use it with the 400.

Your best bet would be a use a C6 that comes with the 400, if you can find them together.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FE and GoingBroke,
Hey that's cool. When it comes to cams and the internals of and engine, I'm brand new. But I have one more question, I read a post that said the 400 was'nt known for having much horse power. So bottom line, how much of a power difference will there be between the 351/C4 combo and the 400/C6 combo? And would I have to beef up the suspension and do more mods to make the 400/C6 work?

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
Look at it this way.

351 Cleveland and the 400 are very similar. the 351 C can be built to over 600 HP.

The 400 version of the 351M/400 engine series can be built to several hundred HP but it's not as supported in the aftermarket performance arena as is the 351C.

If you simply want HP, then go 460. You can make that 460 into a naturally aspirated engine claiming over 700hp.

Just ask yourself what you want.

Bigger = Better as far as Raw HP.

Economically speaking stroking a small block is more HP for your buck or so I hear.

I'm not a HP guy, all I care about is being able to roast my tires a hundred or so feet before the cops drag me out of my truck and beat the living hell out of me. I don't need to have as much HP as humanely possible because I don't need to go FAST as the 2010 Gallardo Ferrari, I only need to be able to bark my tires and haul my customers car's :)
My falcon just looks fast, but it's a cruiser ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's funny! I think we have the same thought process. Intially, when I bought the truck, I thought I may be able to get a smoke from the rear with the 302, but it's not happening. It sounds as sweet as anything you've ever heard, but like you said, I want to make those rear tires turn over. I think I've made my decision. I'm going to go with the 351/C4 combo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts