Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a 77 lincoln mark 5 today to take the 460-c6 out for my 64 galaxie. i was wondering if anyone has used the 4 wheel discs and hydroboost setup off a lincoln of their 64. i searched the archives but looks like most people went with an aftermarket unit on theirs. also is there any other parts from the lincoln i might be able to use such as power steering parts etc... thanks all

·
Registered
653 Posts
i bought a 77 lincoln mark 5 today to take the 460-c6 out for my 64 galaxie. i was wondering if anyone has used the 4 wheel discs and hydroboost setup off a lincoln of their 64. i searched the archives but looks like most people went with an aftermarket unit on theirs. also is there any other parts from the lincoln i might be able to use such as power steering parts etc... thanks all
Well, I think more correctly there's two other OE combinations that are probably the most common conversions ('68-72 Galaxie brakes and '73-79 Torino/LTD II/Thunderbird brakes) as well as a couple common aftermarket setups.

I don't know a lot about Lincolns of that vintage but I think the brakes are the same as the '73-77 LTD which means the spindles should fit (steering-arm tie-rod end thickness aside) but the rotors have a 5x5 bolt circle and need a 15in wheel with decent brake clearance. That may or may not be a problem depending on what you intend to do for wheels.

Hydrabost conversions are not common but not unknown, they are dependent on a decent power steering pump and the Eaton unit used on the garbage linkage-boosted '64 power steering probably isn't good enough. I'm doing a Hydraboost (using a later Astro van part) on my '64 but with a late GM pump, and in any case it's not finished yet.

Whatever you do make sure the Hydraboost has a separate return line to the reservoir, do not tee it into the 3/8in power-steering return, they do not like pressure buildup in the return line.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
The power steering will not work as these cars used an integral power steering gear. Good luck with the project.

·
Registered
653 Posts
The power steering will not work as these cars used an integral power steering gear. Good luck with the project.
There are ways to put an integral-assist box in a '64, but not with a Ford box (which really isn't a very good piece anyway.)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input, im new to the world of fords... Ive built chevy's and pontiacs but ford is all new. Any ideas on what steering box would work if the one off the lincoln wont?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Thanks for the input, im new to the world of fords... Ive built chevy's and pontiacs but ford is all new. Any ideas on what steering box would work if the one off the lincoln wont?
Borgeson has a conversion kit, I believe it uses the same basic Aisin box design (originally used in various Isuzus, Toyota Cressidas and Mk2 Supras, etc.) as their Mustang conversions (which I have in my '65 convertible.) As painless as any aftermarket conversion can be, the linkage side is fine, the column requires some work.

This is what I'm currently working on if you're looking for a challenge:

This is a ZF Servotronic box out of a '97-03 Cadillac Catera. It's very similar to the boxes used in '86-95 BMW 7-series and the higher-line '89-03 BMW 5-series cars (case shape is different, the Bimmers have very short output shafts), 3 turns lock to lock, Servotronic variable-assist if you want to wire it.

Frame is back out of the car right now, rear suspension mounts ('89-97 MN12 Thunderbird/Lincoln Mark VIII IRS, slightly modified) being tackwelded in today, late this week/next weekend the steering box mounting gets sorted out and the front suspension bumpsteered, before the whole thing goes back under the car for trial-fitting....finally.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts