Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright boys I'm finally posting here for help. Time to lay it all out for you.:frown2:

I've owned a '78 XR-7 for about 6 years. 65k all original miles, 351w, FMX trans. Everything is stock except for an air cleaner upgrade, a new radiator, the plugs/wire kit I put on, a distributor, and an OEM motorcraft ignition module. For the first 2 years I owned the car, I drove it regularly and it had some issues, but I resolved all of them, and was pretty sad when I had to move away from the car, and let it sit for the next four years.

I've moved back now, I pulled it out of the woods with my truck, scrubbed the living MUCK out of it, put a new battery in, tires, fluids, filters, and fired it up. I've driven it around a few times by switching out of drive and keeping the RPM's up. I had hoped that running some fuel cleaner and seafoam would actually help here, but the car still won't idle. I'm curious where you guys would start?

The engine seems to run smooth over 2k rpms. When it drops below, it begins to run as if out of time, possibly missing on several cylinders. Once let dropped to the lowest idle, it dies.

Engine runs when cold and choked.

Engine also seems to have deceptive moments of clarity and runs gracefully. It is truly heartbreaking as it is cruising season!

This car was made long before my time, so any knowledge passed on to me is greatly appreciate.

PS I know I should replace the stock 2 barrel, I'm working on lining up an intake and carb locally. I am a student and do not have much extra cash, but I have faith I can get this boat back in good shape before it is too late.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Have you tried any local car clubs?
Many car guys and gals will gladly help share their experiences and insight many of us didnt have when starting out.

Goid luck with your ride and koodos to you for saving an older car that many wouldn't care about.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts