Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I use the rear-end of a 78 granada V6? Will it bolt right up into my 65 mustang without any modifications? It does not have disk brakes in rear it has the drums
and does it have the same gear ratio as a 65 mustang? thanks for all the help guys, don't know what I would do without fordmuscle

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
You'd only want it if it is an 8" ( or 9" but not likely) and your Mustang doesn't have an 8"

You'll need to get the tag off it and read the codes.

http://www.ridgenet.net/~biesiade/Fordrears.html

Most likely 2.80 or no better than 3.00 I'd bet. If yours is wiped then it might be a good swap for a fix. Stu

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, its a five lug rear. The guy is selling the rear for 250.00.
Is that reasonable? I think he knows I want it. I already bought the front disk brakes, spindles, etc.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, should I just find a 5 lug 65/66 mustang rear?. I just thought they were the same. If I absolutely need to have the mustang rear because of the quality, gears, size, bolt-on simplisity, etc. I will just have to find one? What should I do? One more thing, I did notice the narrowing of the rear end on the granada, like on the mustang rear-ends. Where the u-joints go? (sorry dont know the correct terminology) I hope you know what im talking about.

·
Registered
692 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the 67 rear end will be wider than the 65 rear end too. Yep, I think so:
1965-1966 Mustang 57.25 inches
1967-1970 Mustang 59.25 inches

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Yeah its a bit wider - not that backspacing couldn't take care of that.

It's located near Fort Worth Texas. Shipping would cost a fortune to anywhere.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
you can find them at pick a parts for 75 bucks and mavricks.comets,must2's,and many more will fit.

I have a 67 3.00 rear for sale with 157k orig on it for 150.00, its a bit wider but you can use a bit mor offset on rimms and sove the prob. and its in perfect cond.

my 67 vert http://htwheelz.smugmug.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts