Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
First thread on here and just getting into restoring my first 65 Mustand so I have a lot to learn.
I have a couple things,

First- I have a friend who rebuilt a 78 302 years ago with the following and I was wondering anyones best guess at HP- He is offering this motor to me for $600, Never ran

CRANK WAS MACHINED .010/.010 WITH T.R.W. CRANK BEARINGS NEW COMPETITION CAMS, MAGNUM CAM & T.R.W. CAM BEARINGS & CLOTES TRUE ROLLER TIMING SET
BLOCK WAS DECKED & BORED .030 WITH OVERSIZED PISTONS & RINGS
HEADS HAVE BEEN CLEANED,RESURFACED & SLIGHTLY PORTED VALVES & VALVE SEATS GROUND WITH COMP CAMS NEW VALVE SPRINGS

Dunno if this engine is worth it for $600 or should I pull the older 302 that is in it and rebuild that (It has the unknow ticking noise that I see a lot of post on, Lifters probably), Although that would probably be $2000 to rebuild. I do have a budget!

Again, I do not know to many other details about the engine, It was rebuilt by a engine shop about 10 years ago and has been wrapped and sitting in his garage this whole time. He doesn't remember to much about it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
$600 is a fair price for a rebuilt 302. One thing to be wary of, was it rebuilt by a reputible shop? 10 years is a long time for an engine to sit. If the rocker arms are tightened down it probably has a few weak springs. If you use it be sure to prime it good before starting. Without more info on comp. raito, cam, ect. I would say it would be in the 180-200 HP range.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Man...was it stored in a climate controlled enviornment? If it was stored somewhere old man winter haunts like MN,WI or any of the places that have real winters even if the motor was sealed the whole time it can still suffer from flash rust on the internals from the extreme temperature changes/ie cylinder walls,and others unless covered in a thick oil or grease. Not a bad deal if all checks out well. Make sure you can spin it over first at least. If it spins over like the cylinders are coated or smooth then you should be cool. If you spin it over and you can hear or feel a kind of grinding maybe offer 3 or 400.00$,take it home,tear it down and see what you have. At the very least it may need cylinder honing lightly to clean em up.

·
Registered
251 Posts
What year is the 302 in your '65? You may be better off to pull it and do the rebuild your self. You can do a stock rebuild on a 302 for less than 1K. Plus it is kinda fun to build your own engine:D. After thinking about it '78 was one of the worst years for 302s ( well almost everything), so if they used oem components it could be as low as 140HP. Over it's lifetime the 302 ranged in HP from 140-300.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
There is nothing wrong with a 78 302..The low hp was partly due to low compression..Add some heads with smaller chambers and the hp will come right back up as good or better than most 302s...It is impossible to try to guess a power number for your engine without knowing its current compression,cam specs,intake,carb specs etc...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Didn't mean that there was anything wrong with a '78, just that it is likley a low compression engine. It is not impossable to guess the HP...I just made 3 gusses. LOL

Also let us know what trans you plan to use, your rear gear ratio, and how you plan to use the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, Some relies to some of the comments

It was stored in climate controlled environment
It was done at a reputable shop that is still in business
Compression Ratio is said to be 9.5-1
The rockers were NOT tightened down so the springs should be good

I ended up buying it for $450 with the engine stand that it was on.

On another note, I feel like a total rookie. After reading a bunch of post I decided to take the valve covers off to investigate my ticking sound in the motor that is in the car today, I was starting to take off the rockers and pull rods to check for any bent rods when I looked under the valve cover and I see that the rocker on # 5 is making contact with the cover right where the breather is!!! WTF.... Just wasted $450 bucks, Time to re-post that thing on craigslist.

Buying some new higher covers tomorrow!!! I hope that is it, I'm guessing it is.

Thank you everyone for the comments, I'm sure there will be more to come!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Auto tranny, Not sure on rear gears. I just bought the car a couple weeks ago, I am planning on just having a weekend driver that sounds nice. A nice 10 footer.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I can't think of any good reason the stock rocker arms should be contacting stock valve covers. Rather than replace the covers, I'd look into adjusting the valves.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
The 78 blocks with a D8 casting number were the final version before Ford came out with the weaker light-weight 5.0. Previous to that were the D4 blocks that had the higher decks for low compression. The D8 blocks went back to the shorter decks for more compression.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts