Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, buying a 1978 ranchero from my grandfather this week and had some questions about restoring it since this will be my first ever restoration. 1. I live in a small town and pretty sure its quite a ways away from anyone who can do sand blasting or acid dipping, so is it possible to get the rust out myself? if so how? 2. whats the most important things I should focus on restoring first and what not? I have plenty of time to work on this may not be rich but I can get this done if I could get some good advice thanks guys.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sure, you can do everything yourself. How bad is the rust? Probably the biggest issue would be the frame, as long as it's good, the rest is just sheetmetal.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If I were you I would focus first on the drivetrain and reliability. Be able to use it while working on it. Certainly check the frame for rust early on. Assuming frame is good, move on to learning how to do your rust repair and body work. Take small bites until you learn what you are doing. Do one little repair then move on to the next one. Sadly a great number of cars that are taken totally apart for restoration never get put back together. You can learn a lot about body repair from the forums on sites such as www.autobodystore.com and www.paintucation.com. Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts