Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 79 f 150 is an automatic.. 4x4 works ok except in low range, only the front wheels drive... the rear wheels dont turn.. but they work okay in high range... any ideas and how much of a job for the repair...thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
You know what transfer case you got? My guess is a NP205 since a chain driven one shouldn't exhibit this behavior. Either way, something is up with the transfer case. Either it isn't shifting correctly or you got some good damage in there (hard to believe when you see the gear size). See if you can shift it without using the shifter (you'll see the shift rods sticking out) into 4-Lo to see if that does the trick. If so, it's just the shifter/linkage that's worn.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know what transfer case you got? My guess is a NP205 since a chain driven one shouldn't exhibit this behavior. Either way, something is up with the transfer case. Either it isn't shifting correctly or you got some good damage in there (hard to believe when you see the gear size). See if you can shift it without using the shifter (you'll see the shift rods sticking out) into 4-Lo to see if that does the trick. If so, it's just the shifter/linkage that's worn.
Im pretty sure its an np205..pretty sure it happened when I was backing up one day...it goes into 4 lo okay... only the front wheels turn though...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shifter or sheer pin breakage or fork issues. Either way it's a remove and take down then install again....$1500 to $2500.....
I dont know much about the insides of these cases but Im bettin its a sheer pin cause there were not much noise when it happened...maybe some whining ..anyuway, more than truck is worth almost..

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I dont know much about the insides of these cases but Im bettin its a sheer pin cause there were not much noise when it happened...maybe some whining ..anyuway, more than truck is worth almost..
That and places like Jeff's Bronco Graveyard sell used ones for only a few hundred bucks. But like I said, you can always check the stuff outside the case (shifter and rods to/from it) to at least rule that stuff out. But now you've discovered why this transfer case is coveted by off-roaders (strength and twin-sticking). If you want to save a few bucks too, many places online have good tear-down write-ups. The nice thing about the NP205 is it's simple.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
If you are in Pennsylvania they are a dime a dozen. FE wants 15 to 25, you can buy a complete good running truck for less, minus the rusty body that is.

check out this site there are quiet a few trucks and also parts.
www.pennswoods.net

1 - 10 of 10 Posts