Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If an 8.8 in. assy. has the same axle to axle flange distance, is it possible for it to be installed in a car that has a leaf spring rear suspension? This is just a thought that I've had in my mind and I feel that it could be a less expensive alternative to getting a Ford 9 in. It would be easier to find too. Do they make an 8.8 in. assy with a 58 in. flange to flange distance? This is the distance I need for the Granada. Anybody done this? What are your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I'm not sure about the widths, but i know its been done in an early mustang. I've seen where the 8.8 axle assembly is taken, the upper/lower trailing arm mounts are ground off, and the leaf spring perches welded on.

I've also heard about someone just cutting out the center portion of an 8.8 and then welding on 8" or 9" axle tubes.

Its all possible, just need good measuring and welding skills

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Anything is possible, but after a few mods to the 8.8 your gonna be better off trackin down a 9. The 8.8 is plenty strong, but I've pulled several appart with bad axle shaft wear from riding the bearings. And if ya break an 8.8 axle, your loosin a wheel. Not worth the trouble IMHO.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On 2002-07-01 13:21, Luv70sFords wrote:
Anything is possible, but after a few mods to the 8.8 your gonna be better off trackin down a 9. The 8.8 is plenty strong, but I've pulled several appart with bad axle shaft wear from riding the bearings. And if ya break an 8.8 axle, your loosin a wheel. Not worth the trouble IMHO.
You have some good points. I would have to weigh the pros and cons of either choice. Again an 8.8 is a lot easier to find than a 9" where I am. Again do they come with a flange to flange distance of 58"? AFA losing a wheel if the shafts break on an 8.8, that's something a Moser C-clip eliminator kit can take care of.

·
Registered
32 Posts
9"s are hard to find anywhere but you'd spend a lot of money and time rebuilding it and setting it up and you'd stil have a "used" rearend unless you replaces every single thing, and that's $$$. I'd suggest to call Curry and order a bulletproof 9+ they can tailor one exactly to your needs if you talk to them for about $1500 depending on some options. Or Mustangs Plus sells 9" center section rearends, complete minus axles, 28 spline, detroit locker or trac-loc, in various ring and pinion gears for $999 and you'd pay another $400 for good axles to fit and they both have lifetime warranties I believe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts