Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
They can take quit a bit as long as the axles are strong enough. An 8.8 with at least 31 spline axles will take quit a bit of abuse.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
will a stock case accept 35 spline axles w/ spool? i would hope that would be enough along with some kind of brace and welding the tubes. im sure the stock 460 will blow up our 7.5" the first trip to the track.

·
Registered
55 Posts
thought you said 8.8. 7.5 will not hold up ata all.
8.8 ought to be indestructable with bracing. There have been many topics to adding c-clip eliminators but I personally think its a waste cuz once the housing gets hurt there...its wasted. Havent seen 8.8 35 spline availability in a spool

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ive got a 7.5" in the car now. an 8.8" waiting to be built and put in as we go through the motor this winter to make a good deal of power.
can i avoid using the c-clip eliminator things if i put on 9" housing ends?

we are looking for 850-900 hp with nitrous/stroker. would a 33 spline spool be enough?

also, im pretty sure i saw a 35 spline spool from Richmond Gear, but i may have been wrong.

thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Yes...have the big bearing (9&quot
housings installed instead of c-clip eliminators......and have the axle tubes welded to the center.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
67fastback,
that may not be too bad of an idea. they seem to be more plentiful and fairly cheap in my area. ive got a 9" sitting in my basement waiting to be narrowed for my 67' coupe, i got it compete for 90$. it really wouldn't be too difficult to put the fox style suspension mounts on a 9" housing and would be alot cheaper/easier to build a brace for it.

and of course, the 9" looks alot better from behind the car.

thanks for all your guys' help,
carl

1 - 10 of 10 Posts