Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
eaton unit....found some really, really good priced ones on e-bay. Unfortunately, i was financially stapped at the time when upgrading to 31 spline unit, so i did what 'ronbuell' did.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I am sure that its just me but I really like detroit lockers.... (damn do they even make them for the 8.8 shoot, I don't even know)... but you will NEVER have to f*ck with it again....

·
Registered
12 Posts
RONBUELL or STANGFANATIC please explain "extra plate". I'm replacing the clutch packs in my 8.8 and have been stumped on how to determine shim size without the Ford tool. Does size really matter (shim size that is)?

·
Registered
304 Posts
On 2006-08-06 09:37, oldtimertoo wrote:
RONBUELL or STANGFANATIC please explain "extra plate". I'm replacing the clutch packs in my 8.8 and have been stumped on how to determine shim size without the Ford tool. Does size really matter (shim size that is)?
extra plate means 1 extra clutch pac/disc....I believe the trac-loc uses 4 or 5 discs then just add one more disc..

·
Registered
55 Posts
yes...install 1 extra clutch on each side. Unfortunately, i had mine done when i bought the carrier...dont know how many is stock...but if it has four-put five...e tc.

·
Registered
55 Posts
yes...install 1 extra clutch on each side. Unfortunately, i had mine done when i bought the carrier...dont know how many is stock...but if it has four-put five...e tc.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I had one in my old truck. I got the posi unit from a Exploder at the junkyard, along with the 3.73 gears. Had to rebuild the posi unit though...

it came as friction/2 stacked steels/friction/2stacked steels, IIRC. I just built it by alternating frictions and steels as you would normally with a transmission or MC clutch. It was TIGHT. Worked great.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks Freddie, Stangfanatic, and Mavman just what I been looking for!
My apologies for pirating the thread.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts