Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have an 8" and I am planning to upgrade to a posi but am not sure if it is worth it to upgrade the 8" when I can pick up an 8.8 very cheaply. Just curious if anyone has done the swap. I know I will need to switch axles to 5 lug (Ranger axles) and do a little cutting/welding to mount it but other than that any thoughts? I will have to get a driveshaft made since the yokes are different as well. Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

-Todd

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
It is my understanding that the 8 inch and the 8.8 are similiar in torque capacity.I know 8 inch posi's or lockers are hard to find and the 8.8 posi's are a dime a dozen.If your swapping to the 8.8 for strength I wouldn't do it. If you can weld and do all the stuff to install it yourself so it won't cost you much it might be worthwhile otherwise I'd use the 8 inch.I have one in my 68 stang with a locker and 4-speed and its taken a ton of abuse.Then again you could always put in a nine inch with very little work and have all the readily available parts for that as well as a very tough rearend.

·
Registered
447 Posts
That is bull the 8.8 can be upgraded to take lots of abuse

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Don't V6 rangers and Explorers have 8.8's? Seems they would make an easier choice for a swap since they already have spring plates and stuff, plus the v6 rangers have a little taller gear if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Easy guys I wasn't knocking the 8.8 I have also seen some very quick 5.0 cars still running the stock rearend.However why go to all the bother to get it to fit the early stang when a nine inch is a direct bolt in.I also think the 8 inch is way underrated,they're just not as popular cause posi units and low gear ratios are rare.I also read somewhere the 9 inch wieghs 100 lbs more than the 8 inch!I don't know how the 8.8 compares that way.Also the ability to quickly and easily change gear ratios makes the 8 or the 9 inch much more appealing in my opinion.Also don't need to worry about c-clips eliminators,beefed up gear cover plates etc.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: frdnut on 3/15/02 12:51pm ]</font>

·
Registered
5 Posts
If the bucks aren't an issue, think about one of the newer Torsen-type posi's like the Tractech True Trac. Not hideously expensive, and more predictable when applying power out of a turn if you're road racing. I'm pretty sure they have part numbers for most 8.8s.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I recently ordered a Detroit Gearless Locker for a Ford 9" and the invoice says that it is for either an 8" or 9". So there are locking differentials available for the Ford 8" (the unit I bought was $240).
While there may not be a ton of gear ratio for the 8", I did see the following gears listed 3.00, 3.25, 3.55, 3.80, 4.11, and 4.62. If you already have the 8" unit and it fits your car, you might consider just upgrading it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
SlowFord, How bout a little more info on this gearless? Detroit locker. Where did you buy it, part #, yada, yada, yada.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts