Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get that not all 8.8s are the same. Is there a "best" one to aim for for fitment, parts availabilities, like is a crown vic, ranger, explorer which is best and year. Researching and it seems i'm either a crappy at searches or well, that probably. btw my Falcon is a 65 Futura

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
For the narrower "car" width 8.8" rears, the primary strength difference is the size of the axles, being 28 or 31-spline. All of the narrower 8.8s are 28-spline except Explorer, Ranger FX4, and Mustang Cobra. Of course, the truck and van units are beefy, but unless cutting a lot and using only aftermarket axles or cutting to a stock narrow size and using adapter bearings, they are too wide for the typical swap. Brakes for both the large and small bearing versions are common in both drum and disc, so that's no issue. Also, limited slip units are in many or most 31-spline diffs, so that's a bonus. The FX-4 even came with the excellent clutchless Torsen limited-slip.

Keep in-mind that most 8.8 diffs have one axle shorter than the other, and you can often use two short axles and cut one side to narrow on a budget, such as this. In any case, I would first determine what width is needed for your wheel and tire combo, and then start looking at combinations that may work. Custom cutting and welding is generally accepted as required in any axle swap with few exceptions.

David

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A guy is selling a crown vic rear end already cleaned and painted for 75 bucks. Thats why I ask im sure i'll need to go through it but not having to clean it would be nice.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Id say the crown vic would need shortening, by how much I have no idea.. M2C

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If its an open rear end I assume that a LSD can be installed later or does the entire diff need to be replaced?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
If its an open rear end I assume that a LSD can be installed later or does the entire diff need to be replaced?

LSD can be installed at any time....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a feeling just wondered if the crown vic might have as different internal set up

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
there would be no internal differences. Just spline count is all that would/could be different.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If i recall when looking for an 8.8 in local yards, the 8.8"s that came with all the perks, were the Explorers (#D-4 if i recall) with limited slip, 3:73;s in the autos, & i did find 1 Exp. stick, that had 3:55;s, plus 31 spline, & disc brakes all in one tidy package.
I got mine out of a 97 Mustang GT, just because it was shorter than the Explorers, (& on its roof !)but, i still had to shorten the longside, 1, 3/4" if i recall right. (Stangs are 28 spline)
The 97 GT came with 3:55;s, L.Slip, but someone had pulled the discs, i simply had the "Torino" ends installed & bought the economical disc brake kit from Currie, their kit is basicly the same rear disc brake set up from the Explorer, So, i;d say your best, most economical buy would be just grab an Explorer 8.8". Lately, 4 x 4 guys are pulling these faster than i can find them!

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Right - only the IRS versions of the 8.8 have any weirdness, and 28 and 31-spline carriers will interchange. While the $75 CV axle sounds cheap, if you need to shorten it, and add Trac-Lok, and go 31-spline, and change to deeper gears, and do disc brakes, and... it is probably not a deal. For example, the Explorer rear has 31-spline, usually has limited-slip, gears from 3.55 to 4.10, HD sway bar, and either drum or disc brakes. I find them easily for $150-300 locally and on CraigsList.

To build a CV rear to match that would be much more expensive. The only interest in the CV would be for the LSD (if it has one), and the "small bearing" disc brakes which are popular for disc swaps on earlier 8" and 9" rears. $75 would be worth those items. :tup:

David

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
this ones a straight axle w/ no limited slip though it does look like drum brakes.. i would think a cv would be disk, but i'm new to driveline modification

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
CV was always disc from '90 or '91. Drums before that, and optional disc for only 1 year ('90?) IIRC.

David

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I gotta say thanks again fellas for clearing up concerns I should be picking up the rear end after next weekend sometime and this info helped me out alot on selection!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts