Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new 8.8" Ford Traction-Loc unit that I bought years ago, still in the Ford box. The problem is that it is a 28 spline unit and I want to use it in my 31 spline car. Is all I need to do is change out the side gears? Do the 31's interchange with the 28's?
Thanks for your help.

Mike

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice but I was hoping I would not have to spend $650 for an other one when it might be possible to replace the side gears. Does anyone know if these parts will interchange?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Rather than have to buy a whole new unit, He could simply switch out the 28 to 31 spline side gears though, couldn't he?
Side gears can't be more than 50 bucks, little better than 250,eh

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Roger,
That is what I was wanting to know, if the side gears were interchangeable.
Mike

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
I've never had the need to check for that. However, many differentials can be changed to smaller axles (lower spline count), but cannot be changed to larger. Some can be machined to accept larger axles. I have not measured each of the various 8.8" TL cases, so I can't say if all of them will swap-over directly or with machining. I would suggest checking that before committing to side gears. On another note, selling what you have, even with a $50 hit, would be simpler and less labor intensive than swapping parts. Just sayin'.

David

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
AFX- I assumed you could simply switch out the 31's to 28 side gears, but you know what happens when you "assume".
And if PSIG throws up a red flag, better check.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts