Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that the copper washers are no longer available from Ford. If this is true how do you install the pumpkins now? Do you just use rtv? Thanks

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Are the copper washers for sealing? I stopped using them the first time I took my 3rd member off, because they were such a pain in the ass to take off. I've used lock washers ever since then (about 5-6 years) and never had a problem or leak.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Yeah, they're just there to keep the fluid from weeping out of the holes. Apparently those gaskets never have sealed very well.

Ian, do you use RTV on your pumpkin? If you do that probably keeps them free of fluid.

I think they were just cheap insurance - in case the studs leaked

·
Registered
252 Posts
hmm... after the first time i took it off i never used them again. I just rtv the gasket to the pumpkins so i can swap them around, never had a leak yet.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I used rtv and washers. Didn't really know any better when I swapped my old WER rear for a 9" . So far no leaks to date.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I just use a normal gasket with no RTV or washers. No leaks whatsoever.

460Tom: The guy you got that 8 inch from should have supplied you with washers and a gasket.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jim, That guy spent big dollars for the shipping "crate", He also thru in a warranty, so who can complian?

·
Registered
71 Posts
On 2006-07-10 20:03, 460 Tom wrote:
Jim, That guy spent big dollars for the shipping "crate", He also thru in a warranty, so who can complian?
Who did your 8 inch? I did a search on your postings and missed any mention of it. Any details would be appreciated.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry to mislead you , Just Jim and I joking around as I bought an 8inch from him in an, "as is condition" and he wrote a note " Guaranteed for 5 miles or 5 minutes" That was shipped with the rear end. And anyone who builds a 9 can build an 8. Tom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts