Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys recommend/run as a Posi unit for street n strip? I just bought a double web 8" with a mini spool and need to replace it with something a little more streetable.

I've read the FORDMUSCLE articles on the two powertrax "lockright and no-slip" I also talked to their tech dept and they recommended the "no-slip" Not sure what I have now but it's doing a lot of popping and shaking on low idle starts with TKO500 trans.

I run a 7" rim with 26x9.0-15drag slicks on the strip.

I also might have a good set of Richmond 3.55 gears for sale. Thet came with the pig and I am changing to a 3.80 or 4.11.

Thanks Guys,

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
The 'No Slip' is another name for the genuine Detroit Locker. If you are going with the 8" and want to spend some time at the track with slicks, it's your only choice.

Clutch type units are easily killed with just a few 'one wheel peels'. The Detroit will take the punishment. The 'Powertrax' and similar units that fit into the stock case are actually much more harsh than a Detroit, and not nearly as strong.... and cost nearly as much as the genuine article. They also have a shorter service life. We won't even mention resale. New Detroits aren't that bad on the street. MUCH better than that spool you've got now!

I have a DL in my car, and like it. Just don't go jumping on and off the gas while you are in a turn, and you won't even know it's in there.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I went through the same thought process when I first toasted my traction lock. First cracked the housings and later toasted some new clutches. My preferences came down to either using a Detroit Locker or a Detroit TrueTrac. The Detroit Locker is pretty much a full time locker (both tires drive all the time) and they aren't really forgiving on wet pavements. Although they are streetable, they are more at home on the drag strip. The older ones have a reputation for popping while going around corners, although some appear to be quiet. Recently Detroit redesigned the Locker and added some springs in an attempt to eliminate the popping.

The TrueTrac is a Limited slip like the Traction Lock, but it does not use clutches that will burn out and it only engages both wheels during time of poor traction. The TrueTrac is made by the same people who built the Locker and they are supposed to just as reliable. After reading several favorable reviews, it sounded like what I wanted for a mostly street hot rod.

I purchased the TrueTrac and have been very pleased with it. It is absolutely quiet like the Traction Lock and locks up on burn outs. Will also leave dual tire patterns marks after 2nd and 3rd gear shifts. During normal driving about the only time it lets me know its there is during hard acceleration (increased traction) and when I make slow sharp corners. On those slow corners it tends to drag one wheel, although the traction lock did too. If you goose it when the roads are wet, it can easily go sideways on you (although the Traction Lock did too)--just the nature of dual drive on wet pavement.

You can read up on all the offerings of the manufacturer of the Detroits at :

http://www.detroitlocker.com/ProductsPage.htm

65' Stang

393W Stroker, Wide Toploader 4 Spd, 9" 3:70 Posi

Victor Jr. Heads, Stealth Intake, 750dp, 236/561 Solid Cam, 9.6CR, 1 3/4" Headers, Lakewood, Subframes, Caltracs

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dennis111 on 7/2/06 8:29pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Auburn has been working good for me, but maybe you folks are beeting it up more then me.

Did anyone with an auburn failure forget to put the friction additive in, or did not allow the first time 25 mile break in to occur correctly?

I did, does this make the differance?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts